Learner drivers allowed on motorways

Long overdue and a great move in my view.
As long as they get lots of hours normal road driving at normal legal speeds first not 20mph in a 40mph zone. Then yes I would agree with you IAN.

I'd like to see a compulsory set of lessons on roundabouts.
Which lane to use when entering to turn left,right or go straight on. Also anyone who doesn't use indicators to have the stalks hammered through their hands.

It's a good idea if you live near a motorway and can include it in a normal driving lesson. Where I live, the nearest motorway is a 30 minute drive away, so it would not be very practical. Also, in cities like London and Birmingham, the motorways are generally clogged with slow-moving traffic, so there would be little chance of gaining the experience of high-speed driving which this change is designed for.

When I was learning to drive, my instructor did take me on a dual carriageway, so I experienced driving at speeds up to 70mph. After passing my driving test, what I found disconcerting about motorway driving was not the speed, but to be in the middle lane and have vehicles on both sides.

"Roads, Where were going we don`t need roads" :rolleyes:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't think the speed is the only factor behind this move. The confidence is what a lot of drivers lack when motorway driving, even qualified drivers who don't frequently use them. I can remember being quite daunted my first time and I was alone

I don't think the speed is the only factor behind this move. The confidence is what a lot of drivers lack when motorway driving, even qualified drivers who don't frequently use them. I can remember being quite daunted my first time and I was alone
Chookey I know lots of people,all qualified drivers and all are too scared to use Motorways. They will not touch them and all of them stick to A roads no matter how long it takes them to get to there destination.

I wonder how much profit the Government will make when the price of the driving test goes up? that's not mentioned is it?.

Its a great idea, long overdue. pass your test and you can drive a fast car with no experience on a very (sometimes) fast moving road. they should also be taught about how Coaches/Buses and truck need alot of space etc. may save a few lives.

I would have liked to see a separate test for motorways after they have passed the on normal roads,driving at 70 with artics/coaches etc is a complete new ball game.

It's defiantly a good idea imho....
M8 , you only begin to learn to drive when you are on your own after you have past your test. Your decision,your choice get it wrong and pay the price. Its the same for everyone new and old.

M8 , you only begin to learn to drive when you are on your own after you have past your test. Your decision,your choice get it wrong and pay the price. Its the same for everyone new and old.
Very true. I remember my first hill start at traffic lights with a car up my arse. Didn’t want to roll back so kept stalling lol

Back