LCDs May Contribute to Global Warming, Study Says

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Study says chemical in LCDs is 17,000 times stronger than carbon dioxide and is a "missing greenhouse gas."

07.08.2008 — A chemical used to produce LCDs may be causing global warming, according to a report published in Geophysical Research Letters.

Michael Prather, an atmospheric chemist who co-authored the report, is calling Nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) a "missing greenhouse gas," saying the chemical could double to 8,000 metric tons in 2009.

NF3 is used in chemical vapor deposition to make LCDs, semiconductors and synthetic diamond.

This isn't the first time the energy usage of LCDs has sparked controversy. Government officials in Australia and England considered banning LCDs altogether last year.

The Kyoto Protocol, an international climate change treaty, doesn't include NF3. When the agreement was reached in 1997, NF3 wasn't being mass produced.

The report says NF3 is 17,000 times stronger than carbon dioxide.

Not that this would occur, but if all the NF3 made this year was released into the air, the warming effect would emulate 67 million tons of carbon dioxide, the study found.

A recent DisplaySearch study says shipments of LCDs increased 69 percent year-to-year and don't show signs of slowing down.

http://www.cepro.com/article/lcds_may_contribute_to_global_warming_study_says/

I prefer Plasma anyway, much better technology, and by the time levels get critical technology will have andvanced and peeps will be able to use Plasma for their monitors. :) 50" monitors, yes baby!!!

Go on, now tell me Plasmas are contributing even more. Ugh.

Plasma's are much worse......LOL

With the amount of PCs on the planet I'm certain LCD's must seriously outnumber Plasma by quite a margin.

everything causes global warming! me typing this message is causing global warming! breathing causes global warming!

next they'll put a tax on breathing.
governments spending millions of pounds only for scientists to work out that breathing causes global warming and telling us to breathe less.

Is this not one of the reasons why display manufacturers are moving away from LCD to LED?

so what is less poluting?: LCD, Plasma or standard CRTs?

Interesting reading.

However, I still sort of shrug my shoulders about all this.

The earth is billions of years old and 150 years of recorded temperature gives us the hubristic right to be sure that we are having an unalterable and massive impact upon the planet.

Sorry to thread hijack. Eep. I am also typing this on a lappy with an LCD screen.

Now where did I put my carrier pigeons..

Interesting reading.

However, I still sort of shrug my shoulders about all this.

The earth is billions of years old and 150 years of recorded temperature gives us the hubristic right to be sure that we are having an unalterable and massive impact upon the planet.

Sorry to thread hijack. Eep. I am also typing this on a lappy with an LCD screen.

Now where did I put my carrier pigeons..

Yeah well next time you're about to let one rip think of the damage you will be causing to the planet.

To be honest, the way the wife reacts my farts may well be the end of the world mate.

It is used in Silicon wafer production as well (probably in lots of semiconductor processes) so we best go back to the stone age. In fact, no; too much emission from those fires.

Do you mean OLED? Because they're moving towards that because it has incredible contrast ratios.
No, I think LED as well. If I recall, Apple is installing LED panels into its laptops and desktops - but I cant remember.

I think Sony is the main mover and shaker behind OLED, and they are just about to start shifting FED displays.

Back