Lcd or plasma???

premprop51

DW F1 champion 2011
VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at buying a new tele round about 55"-60" been asking about a bit to see whats better lcd or plasma keep getting different answers from different shops, just wondering if anyone has any opinion on which one?

been looking at lg or a samsung!

cheers.

Re: Lcd or plasme???

For that sort of size, personally I would go for a plasma. Panasonic are regarded as having one of the best pictures for large plasma screen, with a price tag to match.

Not sure about the Samsung but personally I have a LG 50PS6000 which lacks some of the features of the panasonics high end models but I am really happy with it. I believe it has been replaced so price should be coming down or you can have a look at its replacement.

I also had a thread about looking for a t.v. Its here

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/236805/

As oneman says after reading around panasonic seem to have the best picture at the moment - some say because they are using some of the technology from the pioneer kuros range of t.v's which apparently are regarded as the best picture available.

Have a look at AVforums mate.

I will be getting a plasma and most probably the G20 series when I get the dough together, If and when I manage to get the dough should I say.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would still say plasma personally .

I have just had a new samsung 50" 3d tv and tbh the picture on my 5yr old Pioneer still beats it hands down.

went from lcd to plasma and plasma kicks the ass off lcd any day m8. Also agree about panasonic. Its a panny i have and the picture quality is great.

if your going big, go plasma. Panas are the best and generally have a free 5 year guarantee, LGs are very, very good IMO. But due to lack of service agents for the brand they are considered a bit of a liability in the trade.

Big backlit LED is good, and LCD can vary from brand to brand, if you are going big in lcd or led prepare to pay about the same as a panny plasma for anything decent. Remember televisions are the original false economy. spend as much as you can on one as you will spent a huge ammount of your recreational time parked in font of it.

Philips 56" 9664 Cinema LCD is £1499 at richer sounds this bank holiday, I guarantee you will be happy with that. Its awesome

I wouldnt get an LG, mine went kaput when it was 13 months old, and had a nightmare trying to get LG to admit liability for it.

I've got a £600 LG plasma and it's the best telly I've ever owned. :)

I can't stand the motion blur on lcd's.

oooh, just read Eva's post. :(

What happened Eva?

Bought a 42" LG plasma, this was a few years ago now, so was expensive around 1500 euro i think. Anyway it had a 12 month warranty but at 13 months developed two big black lines down the screen, i'll see if i can dig the pics out from somewhere. We were told it was unrepairable but they refused to give us a new tv as the warranty was up.

Anyway to cut a long story short, after contacting quite a few people and eventually getting my local political representative to call them and explain that a tv was meant to last more than a year, they agreed to pay 1/3 of the cost of a new tv, the shop paid 1/3 and we paid the rest. Of course the tv had halved in price in the year lol.

Having said that i got another LG, had no choice in the matter, and i have had that for at least three years now with no problems at all.

I only have LCD's the reason being is the running cost and nothing else. The amount of time they are on in this house means Plasma is too expensive to run. ( unless someone can tell me otherwise that Plasma are now as cheap to run as LCD )

How does the Power consumption of LCD tv and Plasma tv compare ?

The power consumption of an LCD tv is virtually constant because they have a back light that is on all of the time. The back light can be manually adjusted but uses less power on a low setting and more power on a high setting. The modulation of the LCD tvs screen pixels takes very little power.

However Plasma tvs charge a gas to a plasma to generate light. The more light that is required the more often this is done. So it's usual for plasma tvs to require more energy on an image with high levels of brightness, and less energy on low brightness scenes. So the power consumption varies.

The energy requirements that are quoted for Plasma tvs are for full brightness settings. The effect of this is that lcd tvs seem to use less power than plasma tvs. But the power consumption of a plasma tv varies depending on the amount of dark and bright areas on the displayed image. Studies have found that when the viewed programs are mainly dark or on movies the amount of power consumed for plasma tvs will be lower than an lcd tv. However when the viewed programs are sports and cartoons the power consumption for plasma tvs is greater than on lcd tvs. When varied programs are viewed the power consumption is similar for LCD tvs and Plasma tvs. Future plasma tvs are going to consume less than half the amount power consumed at present.

Considering the above, better viewing angles, far better black levels, sharper pictures thats why I would alway buy a Plasma over an LCD.

Regards

Liam

I only have LCD's the reason being is the running cost and nothing else. The amount of time they are on in this house means Plasma is too expensive to run. ( unless someone can tell me otherwise that Plasma are now as cheap to run as LCD )

they are about the same in real situations

From the reading I did for a 50" screen, plasma was around 200w to 300w (dependant on brightness and contrast settings), florescent LCD was around 150w and LED 100w though could be lower on dark scenes as most can power down LED in black parts of the picture.

lcd tend to loose a lot of the pic above 40 inch !!!
goes pixely and motion blur ..
they ok in a bedroom .. but for main room viewing above 40 inch
plasma every time . i have a panasonic viera and had it 2 years now .
not a single problem with it ! awesome !!

Thanks for all the info guys...a lot to take in, was at the shops having a look last night and i personally think the lg's are a far better looking tv than the panasonics they just look a bit thinner and less bulky...thats about all the shops seem to sell just now lg,panasonic,samsung...what happened to the good old phillips and sonys?

cheers.

Thanks for all the info guys...a lot to take in, was at the shops having a look last night and i personally think the lg's are a far better looking tv than the panasonics they just look a bit thinner and less bulky...thats about all the shops seem to sell just now lg,panasonic,samsung...what happened to the good old phillips and sonys?

cheers.

very true, I have the LG 42PQ6000 Plasma and the front is one piece glass unit and looks awesome, no plastic bit at all.

lol....never mind looks...what about reliability ?
i had an lg lasted 16 month ..my panny is on its 3rd year no probs wotsover its a proper workhorse !

lol.... ye suppose reliability is key but its still gotta look good! i'v had my phillips for 5yrs now and still working perfect moved house bigger room need bigger tele.

jfish yes think thats like the one im looking at one piece flat glass screen no stupid plastic surround.

cheers.

lol....never mind looks...what about reliability ?
i had an lg lasted 16 month ..my panny is on its 3rd year no probs wotsover its a proper workhorse !

interesting, out of a dozen people in this thread two have had LG tvs fail at just over a year!

interesting, out of a dozen people in this thread two have had LG tvs fail at just over a year!

my friend has had 3 LGs bollox up on him in 12 months lol...
he was that annoyed that he got a panny instead of replacing the LG third time round...
he must be just unlucky maybe ?

Back