Lcd or plasma???

Re: Lcd or plasme???

I have a two LG's - Plasma 42PQ600 and LCD 37LH2000 - The Plasma I have had for 13 months now, and the LCD for 5 months

If either fail within 2 years, then I will envoke the 2 year warranty EU law.

My old man has recently bought a Panasonic g20 and its an amazing tv really owns my Sony lcd although the picture hasn't had enough hours on it yet so I'll give it a few weeks then have another play with the thx mode settings to see if I can improve things further. For the price you can't go wrong. I know a grand is a lot of money but for a high end tv its quite reasonable in comparison to other sets.

i down sized from a 50" samsung plasma to a 46" led 3d i got it from costco for £1700 with 2 pair of 3d glasses and a 5 yr warrenty

i have also had a 46" lg i have just given to my sister had that for 5 yrs and still looks as good as it ever did
and quality wise the LED IS far superior than plasma

David is it a full LED or backlit LED

I do not think there are any full LED's available yet, I am probably wrong though as usual :)

As I want to get an LED but am put off by it so far and want to get a G20 unless full LED's come out by the time I save the money :)

So what is the difference between full LED and backlit LED.

From what I understood there are two options, have the LED behind the screen (LG) or have LED mounted on the edge and use fiber optics to light the screen (Samsung ?).

Behind the screen is supposed to give a more even picture where as sidelit give a thinner screen ?

So what is the difference between full LED and backlit LED.

From what I understood there are two options, have the LED behind the screen (LG) or have LED mounted on the edge and use fiber optics to light the screen (Samsung ?).

Behind the screen is supposed to give a more even picture where as sidelit give a thinner screen ?

That is what I heard too also including the usual hype about better contrast and colours lol

also uses less engergy to provide a brighter picture

looking at buying a new tele round about 55"-60" been asking about a bit to see whats better lcd or plasma keep getting different answers from different shops, just wondering if anyone has any opinion on which one?

been looking at lg or a samsung!

cheers.

If i was you and if you can wait 12mnths or so either way,i would wait.

The panasonic is the best in the plasma range , but are also top price.

If you can wait look at the new led ranges Samsung etc;and also search forums , what i do from time to time is i google led lcd tvs.

At the moment there are some good deals about for the samsungs
but they are in the process of updating at the moment.
So if you buy samsung they will be out of date.

Try to keep clear of sidelit in the samsung and go for backlit.
Sidelit has some kind of ghosting.
Best bet is go to samsung forums this will enlighten you more.

Myself i am looking at the led range tvs with computers on board,
small in size at the moment but won't be long in going bigger then 32" & 42"
Expensive but they are the future, already tv is being streamed in the
uk , and i really do believe this is the future.

I hope this helps besides being confusing as it is to me.

When to stop being futuristic is the main thing stopping me jumping in for
a new TV now..

There is also a newer setup beyond LED, & OF COURSE 3D with LED on sale now.

So no more from me :banana::ST Geo: :Cheers::proud:

Last edited:

i wud love to buy a LED , but they just way too expensive still ...

LED use 40% less elecy than LCD too, that's a major selling point for me...

LED use 40% less elecy than LCD too, that's a major selling point for me...

Yes me 2 but will need to research lots more, I did a lot of research regarding the Panny and thats why I really want that now but if I have to wait then I guess it will be an LED as soon as they become more mainstream.

LEDS will also be slimmer than plasma's so I guess wins all round if cost effective :)

how much where u going to pay for the panny??

as i sadi i have the 47" 3D samsung led tv with 2 pair of shutter glasses with 5yr gurentee from costco cost me £1700

and that is cheap quality is perfect
i can linl it to my network and watch streamed movies from my computer
go on the internet go watch youtube and many more things

i can turn it into a skipephone with a addon but the add on is £150 ish but will look into it
i would always pay a few bob extra to get the better alternative it saves money in the long run

3D LED TV | 3D Screens | Samsung UE46C7000WKXXU 3D TV

this is the one i got

David the cheapest I could find it was £799 with 5 year guarentee

David the cheapest I could find it was £799 with 5 year guarentee

u can double the cost of that if u want LED , thats wot put me off gettin one ...the price !

edit ..hi david , how are u feeling mate ?

u can double the cost of that if u want LED , thats wot put me off gettin one ...the price !

edit ..hi david , how are u feeling mate ?

not to bad m8

Hope you are well David

Well that is the exact reason what is putting me off the cost and the fact that it is relativly new technology in Consumer TV's

ive just recently got a plasma,after having an lcd for ages-and i can honestly say i wish i still had the lcd,dont like tha plasma at all,horrid horrid ir,dull muted colours,whites that look yellow and sd content looks like the screen is covered in vasaline
this is a lg 50pk590 i used to have a philips ambilight 47 8904 lcd,the sharpness,colours ect were sooo much better on that sd content ok was pixelated but it was sharp

and i thought ir was supposed to be a thing of the past with plasma these daysi get it from the sodding screensaver that pings around the screen on my media player

ive just recently got a plasma,after having an lcd for ages-and i can honestly say i wish i still had the lcd,dont like tha plasma at all,horrid horrid ir,dull muted colours,whites that look yellow and sd content looks like the screen is covered in vasaline
this is a lg 50pk590 i used to have a philips ambilight 47 8904 lcd,the sharpness,colours ect were sooo much better on that sd content ok was pixelated but it was sharp

and i thought ir was supposed to be a thing of the past with plasma these daysi get it from the sodding screensaver that pings around the screen on my media player

Plasma is not going to be as sharp as LCD and that is part of the attraction, especially in SD. As for colours, no way that the whites should be looking yellow. Does not sound right.

Back