Large TV viewing distance charts

logic_187

Inactive User
Reaction score
distance_chart.JPG
1080p-does-matter
resolution_chart.html

OK how many of you are buying plasma's LCD's without actually having suitable space to host it and gain the best viewing pleasure...
I found this elsewhere and should be used as a guideline.

for example its no point having a 50inch TV running SD stuff and your 4 feet away as its going to look plain and simple shite.

may be this could be made a sticky?

Last edited by a moderator:
horses for courses - if that was the case then you would have to sit about 300 feet away from a cinema screen when you go to the flicks. If YOU think it looks too big in your room - then it probably is - if YOU are fine with a bigger screen then whats the problem? HDTV will be free next year anyway so it dosent really matter in my opinion

Top post logic_187

Heres the same one bigger and with the res chart as well.

I'd disagree with you hawkish. Since everyone is on the HD bandwagon and spending £££ on equipment I think its great to know how far you should be sitting in order to be able to view all that extra detail that you paid your money for. Most people either sit too close or too far so the chart is welcome IMO.

I wasnt aware that HDTV was going to be free from next year. Where did you hear that?

Last edited:
horses for courses - if that was the case then you would have to sit about 300 feet away from a cinema screen when you go to the flicks. If YOU think it looks too big in your room - then it probably is - if YOU are fine with a bigger screen then whats the problem? HDTV will be free next year anyway so it dosent really matter in my opinion

Mate we are talking about different technologies when comparing Cinema to LCD/plasmas!!!they work totally different and not to mention the cinema kit costs a hell of a lot more than the plasma's etc.

@Munkey spot on.......

Last edited:
well, i'm sat 2 metre from tv viewing at 1368x768 on a 37 inch and I can't see the graphs- maybe I need a 60":)

lol - I'm sat 2 feet away from my monitor and I cant really see them confortably - I'm also gettign an odd optical effect in that 2 my eyes the "bigger" one looks exactly the same size lol

i bought mine acorrding to what i thought is about right. My living room is 26x13ft so i went for a 50 inch. Got 2 three seaters on each side and a 2 seater facing. It works out about right.

Speaking of large TV's some of you may be interested in buying a projector and not sure which technology to go for. Its either

LCD
DLP
D-ILA
CRT

All of the technologies have their pro's and cons but I guess it is safe to say that DLP is currently the best for the overall picture (unless you can afford expensive D-LIA PJ's)

One of the possible side effects of projecting a DLP image is that some viewers may experience what is known as the 'rainbow effect' or RBE. If you are unsure whether you are succeptable to the RBE effect check out the attachment. If you can see any rainbows or any colours for that matter, my advice would be to go for LCD or D-ILA.

whats the normall size tv for a sitting room 5m by 4.8m, i was thinking 42inch but should it be bigger?

I sit aroung 10ft away from my pioneer 50" and I think it is just right.

I did initially have a 42" but after a few months found it small and sold it!!!

I find my 50" too small these days :(

whats the normall size tv for a sitting room 5m by 4.8m, i was thinking 42inch but should it be bigger?

I'd go bigger if you will be sitting at around 4.5M. If its your main source of viewing ie you are not using a projector I would go for a 50".

The only problem with big ass TV's is that they dont look too good with a normal TV broadcast. I personally would go with a Pioneer 42" plasma.

I find my 50" too small these days :(

I know what you mean mate. My 92" feels small for cinemascope films so I'm currently planning on a 130" set which will be finished come Autumn.

Last edited:
LOL...............ffs here is me wondering if i should go with a 42" maybe a bit bigger and then i see someone thinks there 50"looks too small and someone else thinks their 92" looks a bit small so they are replacing it with a 130", what size houses do ye live in?

LOL...............ffs here is me wondering if i should go with a 42" maybe a bit bigger and then i see someone thinks there 50"looks too small and someone else thinks their 92" looks a bit small so they are replacing it with a 130", what size houses do ye live in?

The wife has me living in the garage but I'm allowed to come inside to eat and watch TV :)

Back