Laptops set to over take desktops

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Laptops set to over take desktops

Laptops will overtake desktop PCs as the dominant form of computer in 2011, according to a report by analysts IDC.

The demand for bulky machines will continue to slowly grow but at a declining rate as portable machines become quicker and more efficient.

The report predicts the laptop market will grow by 16.1% year-on-year until 2011, compared to 3.8% for desktop PCs.

There will also be a short burst of desktop shipments over the next year as Microsoft rolls out Vista, it predicts.

Desktop decline

"The release of Vista and a desktop refresh will create some growth opportunity in late 2007 and early 2008, before resuming a declining growth trend in the out-years," said Doug Bell, analyst in IDC's personal computing program.

More than 82 million portable computers and nearly 140 million desktop PCs were shipped around the world in 2006, according to the report.

Compared to the previous year, the numbers of laptops shipped rose by 26.3% compared to less than 2% for desktop PCs.

The gradual shift away from fixed machines may reflect the needs of an increasingly mobile workforce and the ubiquity of wireless networks.

A recent US survey by the Pew Internet and American Life Project found that the number of internet users with wireless at home nearly doubled, from one out of 10 in January 2005 to one in 5 by December 2006.

The same survey found that 80% of laptops had wireless capabilities and 88% of laptop users used a wireless network at home.

Last year, a report by research firm Current Analysis found that 2005 was the first year that laptops outsold desktop computers in the US.

The latest report from IDC indicates that the appetite for computers on the move is set to continue.

"Portables are picking up some of the slack from Desktops," said Loren Loverde of IDC.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2007/03/21 13:03:29 GMT
© BBC MMVII

just surprised laptops aren't the preffered option now.My present setup desktop will be due for slinging in the near future (when funds avail) and will deffo replace with laptop more convenient and take up less space.

i switched from desktop to laptop a few years ago, but that ended up on the table with printer, external drives etc etc. but now it lives behind the telly, connected to my network and LCD and i have a wireless keyboard and mouse so just turn the telly over and veg out on the setee lol

l only use my pc for downloading now . always on the lappy these days

yep i also only use the PC to download but most of the time when im online i use the laptop but i have a network cable dont like the wireless after reading about all the hacking

if i use the wii i do turn the wireless on but mostly its off until they bring out a new encryption

anyone sell laptop. i mean it should less price coz i looking for that

i do prefer desktop,but must admit i find myself in the kitchen with the missus browsing at stuff together more than we do on the pc,suppose its just easier to use.....

i do prefer desktop,but must admit i find myself in the kitchen with the missus browsing at stuff together more than we do on the pc,suppose its just easier to use.....

same as you m8, when i come home from work, sit there at the dinner table eating me tea surfing the web on me laptop, but well prefer me desktop in me study.........lol............

ii think it stems from when i was a kid and used to read the back of the cereal box when i was eating my breakfast lol

what kind of stuff not that I'm inferring anything,especially with kitchens etc LOL.

Hi

I`m same always on the lappie while eating me dinner, watching tv etc. Desktop is redundant in the study hardly on it unless me nephew or neice come round and they go on it. Laptops has been growing more and more popular over last few years just bought myself a new one a few weeks ago.

Every school kid in Australia has a laptop they take back and forward to school, paper and pen are becoming obsolete…

my lappy is the best thing I ever bought. Some people on here may remember I had to leave the forum for a short while when me and the mrs were having a few problems, one being the old you spend more time in your study on that bloody computer than you do with me. well now i do both she can watch eastenders whilst i tap away at the lappy sat next to her. She has even befrended the laptop and can be found many a night browsing ebay.

I can't use a lappy because I've got Repetitive Strain Injury - I need an ergonomic keyboard or my hands become utterly useless. Maybe they'll do an ergonomic laptop one day...

i is on me lappy now and its a better set up than the home pc even plays newer games

Back