Laptop

Teeny

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guy's , i'm thinking about buying a laptop in a few weeks, wot spec do i look for, it's also needs to be internet ready.

:THANKS:

and me im looking for one depends on how much u gonna use it and what for, also warranty is not cheap so go to johnlewis website and check them out for 699 sony laptops with two yr warranty i may buy mine from there

First thing I'd say, is to decide if portability/battery life is important. If your likely to want to use it 'on the go' then I'd say look for a machine with a 'mobile' processor, Intel & AMD both have mobile versions of their chips, these are much less power hungry than the desktop equivilent processors, so battery life will be much better.
Also don't worry about going for the fastest processor, I'd say at better bet is to go for a processor one or two steps back from fastest, but put more RAM in the system. Current P4 mobile chips run from about 1.5ghz to 2.0ghz, these are roughly equivelent to the 2.4 to 3.4ghz desktop processors
As for 'internet ready' most lappys now come with built in modem for dial up & onboard network adapter for BB. Lots also come with wifi, make sure that it supports 802.11g standard at least.

Hope this helps..

hmm intresting read there is this a good enough laptop for 699 pounds:

Additional ports: No

Battery life: 2.9 hours

Brand: Sony

Built-in ethernet connection: 10/100/1000

CD / DVD optical drive: Double layer DVD±RW drive

Dimensions: H36 x W364 x D264mm

FireWire / IEEE 1394 ports: 1x 4 Pin i.LINK

Graphics card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

Graphics card - video RAM: 128MB

Guarantee: 2 years, to extend to 5 years £199 - click here

Hard drive: 80GB

Memory card slot: Memory Stick slot (Pro compatible)

Modem: 56k

Operating system: Windows XP Home Edition

Processor: Intel Celeron M380, 1.6GHz

RAM: 512MB

Screen resolution: 1280 x 800

Screen size: 15.4" widescreen

Stereo speakers: Built-in

USB ports: 3x 2.0

Visible screen size (measured diagonally): 39.1cm

Weight: 2.9kg

Wireless networking: 802.11b/g

If you get a new (i.e. not refurb, opened return stock etc) intel based laptop remeber to claim your 3G Data card: http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57939

Even if you won't use it, you can fleabay it for a few notes (its worth £199 apparently, and should come loaded with £10 credit), which will help towards the cost of the laptop...

hmm........... interesting. i don't need it for on the move like, mainly around the flat, but obvisouly i want to take it on the move if need be, (not bothered about internet on the move, although this would be a bouns) i want to be able to use around the flat via my broadband.. wireless thing you plug in... i think it's mainly the hard drive size, and processor and bits i think i was worried about. I'm not that hot on computers when it comes to the spec and wot with all the new things and gadgets etc.... coming out i wanted to get something from the latest range. I didn't want to spend too much either, cos it's not like it's for my buisness, just for pleasure really so i don't have to keep siting at the work top in my kitchen, but at the same time, i don't want a cheap narsty one. I dunno, about £700-£800 i suppose.

i can vouch for sony viao have had 1 for year or so now and its very good, not loads of battery life (3hours approx) but i dont realy need that, screen is 1 of the best ive seen on a "normal" priced laptop.
the specs have prob moved up a bit now but it was about £700 notes is 1.6 centreno (intel mobile proc) 512 mem 40 g hdd cd-w dvd combo wifi enabled usb 2 ports firewire and memcard slots. i am sure its a bx series have a look here
h**p://vaio.sony-europe.com/ShowProductCategory.do?site=ite_en_GB&category=VAIO+Notebooks&domainname=vaio.sony-europe.com

if u find spec u want come back with the model and we can have a look around to find the best price

i too am looking at getting a lappy :) but i will definatly wait till jan sales in hope of a bargain :) I would hate to pay £800 now for it to be £500 in 5 weeks!!!

mad said:
i too am looking at getting a lappy :) but i will definatly wait till jan sales in hope of a bargain :) I would hate to pay £800 now for it to be £500 in 5 weeks!!!

Good thinking, so if i wait to January Sales then i could proberly get a real good for about £1000 which hopefully will cost around £700 in the sales, i still need to check out spec in meantime and everything during the process of waiting, which will give me plenty of time.

Thanks Guy's for all your help

: thanks :

Back