Laptop so so slow, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

Ive got a friends laptop, they have literally not used it. I have installed AVG, a torrent client, and all of a sudden the laptop is running mega slow, even just opening windows etc. here is the spec of the laptop, its a Dell Inspiron 5565.

Any ideas? ive done the windows updates which took ages but its not helped.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 36
I'm a dell tech, get a SSD drive and replace the conventional one that this laptop has, it doesn't support Nvme drive so fine any 2.5" one... also try and see if you can add more RAM

Good advice, but an SSD really is only going to benefit the OS boot times. You can of course store stuff as well, but it's an expensive way. If you're only putting in a small HDD, then store everything else on external, then i'd agree whole heartedly.

RAM will be dependent upon what the laptop can take. It may already be maxed at 8GB, motherboard may not support more.

Also he could try the other stuff for free first, before moving to paying for stuff to make it work better.

I didn't notice above, and I'm still dodging Win10 (apart from a laptop I have at home for a 3D printer), but were processes for all users shown in Task Manager?

There could also be some surreptitious process for crypto-mining being hid or similar. As mentioned by @topchippyles, be suspicious of torrent clients and whatnot.

In my case, when I open the Task Manager, I see that the use of C: is 100% and does not go down.
This was after a BIOS update.

Is there any way to return to the previous version of the BIOs to verify that this is what makes my PC go wrong?

This is what has helped me in the past: cleaning the vents, replacing the thermal paste, addition of RAM and moving from mechanical hard drive to SSD. Hope this helps!

In my case, when I open the Task Manager, I see that the use of C: is 100% and does not go down.
This was after a BIOS update.

Is there any way to return to the previous version of the BIOs to verify that this is what makes my PC go wrong?
Try to delete this all file
1. Go to windos /run/ type to temp and select all file and delete
2. Go to windos /run/ type to %temp% and select all file and delete
3. Go to windos /run/ type to prefetch and select all file and delete

Go to task menager and on option startup disable all app,which are not use.

If you haves torent and skyp and antivirus ,just goto setings and check to NO start app (skype torent ....)when windows start.

Should also to defragment partition c d e ..

Go to sreach ina type to Defragment & Optimize drive

After this setups restart your pc, if you again C: 100% you must to buy new hdd
Recommendation buy SSD .

I would :
check ram and processor for errors by running memtest.
if all is well, if you have less than 8gb of ram, upgrade ram
if you have an HDD, replace with an SSD
if you are running windows, consider linux..

the best thing to speed up an old pc/notebook is to exchange the good old HDD with an SSD. After a partition copy it will be like new..
Other good option is to upgrade RAM as modern software needs more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back