Laptop so so slow, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

Ive got a friends laptop, they have literally not used it. I have installed AVG, a torrent client, and all of a sudden the laptop is running mega slow, even just opening windows etc. here is the spec of the laptop, its a Dell Inspiron 5565.

Any ideas? ive done the windows updates which took ages but its not helped.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 36
Glary Utilities Pro is a good program and AdwCleaner to cleanup

Plus disable your torrent client on windows srartup

Last edited:
would dump avg as well maybe try kaspersky free or any other see if better

Maybe if you have restore points set up you could restore it to a time before your recent installs (torrents etc.) that will cure it if the fault is what you have said. Usually though computers from other people have other reasons for not working properly.

Untitled.png

disk was running at 95% with just a chrome window open. the CPU is regularly near 99% too. the computer has avg, qbittorrent, and thats it. i got the laptop off the guy and it hadnt even been turned on before. im absolutley puzzled with it, half tempted just to reinstall windows

yeah ill give it a go tonight. is there a way of getting the windows and microsoft office keys from the laptop? dont want to get stuck once ive wiped it

Windows key should be on the bottom of it. Not so sure about office. I would dban the drive, and do a fresh install with nothing on it. It's concerning that it's disk is 99% in use, so suggests something is using it, and if the CPU is hitting 99% then that's definitely a worry.

dban is a utility that will wipe the hdd. When you format a drive you dont actually delete anything, you simply remove the first pointer on the drive, then overwrite the 101010101s on the drive.

With dban, it actually wipes the drive to a military grade, so it's not recoverable, and anything nasty on the drive will be wiped as well. Of course if you have something that sits in the flash then there's not much you can do.

you could also try wondershare live boot it can also allow to create a cd and get into your computer to do what you want I believe

I'm a dell tech, get a SSD drive and replace the conventional one that this laptop has, it doesn't support Nvme drive so fine any 2.5" one... also try and see if you can add more RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back