Laptop problem

jimlangan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, My harddrive on my lappy gave up, so mate put another in it, but with a copy of xp, but that copy is not working right, I have just found a backup disc in a drawer, from my original hard drive, could I uninstall the xp on it, and install the backup disk?, If yes, how do I do it?, hope this makes sence.

thanks in advance.

yes mate just put the back up cd into your drive , and choose , to boot from cd in the bios, it will format your hd and install your back up , if all goes well , on the other hand if it wont boot from your backup you might have to press a button on the lappy while inthe bios i know on my sony vaio it was f10 , try that 1st though mate

Usually F10, F11 or F12

Watch the screen at the bottom or maybe the top when it starts to boot for boot options and keep pressing til the boot option screen appears.

If you have 1gb or more of ram why not put Windows 7 on.

definetely mate,if you have the RAM put a copy of windows 7 on, wipes the floor with vista and xp, in my opinion!!!

I agree about W7, but I would look to have 2gb rather then one if you plan on multitasking.

Hi, taanks guy's, I will try this backup disc, and hope it works, I dont have a windows 7 disc.

cheers

Hi, I put the backup disk in, It says unidentified operating in c, I highlighted that, and hit enter, but it did not do anything, any idea?.

thanks in advance

Hi, I put the backup disk in, It says unidentified operating in c, I highlighted that, and hit enter, but it did not do anything, any idea?.

thanks in advance

If its a backup disc provided with the computor you may have to boot from it.

Hi, no it was a disk I burned from the laptops old harddrive, I have a new harddrive, will I not be able to load this on it?.

thanks in advance

Hi, no it was a disk I burned from the laptops old harddrive, I have a new harddrive, will I not be able to load this on it?.

thanks in advance

What software did you use to do the backup...was in Norton Ghost or Acronis true image or similar backup software.

TBH...as said before, you would be best to go with W&, its a cracking OS.

TBH...as said before, you would be best to go with W&, its a cracking OS.

as above, or you could try windows 7 (W7) not too sure about W& ive heard thats pretty crap, maybe jaffa will give you a copy :D

but seriously, W7 is the buisiness. Theres only two OS`s for me, XP if the system cant handle 7 , or 7 all the way. ( i do like linux but we wont go there ;) )

Last edited:
As everyone is saying you will be better off going with W7 as XP is history. Also 2Gigs of memory, as oneman says, if your lappy will take it.

Back