Laptop Problem

storm1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello can anyone shed some light on the following problem for me ? Amilo pro V3505 laptop hard drive hitachi 120gb failed - so bought new hitachi 250gb drive today from PC world - installed it & it is showing in the bios - but when i try to load xp - it says that it cannot find hard disk ? pulling my hair out now! what if anything am i doing wrong & can anyone help me to rectify this?

Storm1

Hello can anyone shed some light on the following problem for me ? Amilo pro V3505 laptop hard drive hitachi 120gb failed - so bought new hitachi 250gb drive today from PC world - installed it & it is showing in the bios - but when i try to load xp - it says that it cannot find hard disk ? pulling my hair out now! what if anything am i doing wrong & can anyone help me to rectify this?

Storm1

Heyup Storm,

Would this be any good to you mate?

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Muskrat

I have been building pc`s for years and 1 thing i do know is a new drive is not formated you need to disconnect all HDD`s from your laptop and just install the new drive then bang in the windows disk and sata drivers to hand and follow the on screen insuctions

Killer :banana:

Yeah, but the the OS will still see it....it has nothing to do with not being formated.

Its a Driver issue

Agreed, the OS has to see the drive to format it otherwise you get the "no hard drive installed" message.

EDIT On reflection I didn't need to use a floppy/f6 to format or install either of the 2 x 500gig sata's in here, have you got the raid option turned on?

Muskrat

Last edited:
Thanks All !

Whenever in need - You always come to the rescue ! Will follow your advice & try tomorrow - going to wash the blood from my scalp now - Many Thanks All once again.

Storm1

Whenever in need - You always come to the rescue ! Will follow your advice & try tomorrow - going to wash the blood from my scalp now - Many Thanks All once again.

Storm1

Will be nothing mate, if the bios sees the drive then its just a case of getting the OS to see it, either it's the floppy/f6 option or switch off the raid controller in the bios. Let us know how you get on.

Muskrat

Still Trying No Luck!

Went & bought a floppy disk drive - tried to copy files as stated - but it just keeps coming up with not enough space on floppy ?

So at the mo I am still pulling my hair out!

Hi Muskrat.
I cant seem to see anything in the bios with raid on it ? Where can I expect to see this or could it be called anything else?

Hi Muskrat.
I cant seem to see anything in the bios with raid on it ? Where can I expect to see this or could it be called anything else?

2 mins mate, will restart mine and see what it says, its been that long since I've been in there, it may say sata controller or the like, brb.

EDIT I'm using a tower (mobo = asus a8n-e) so it may be slightly different but in bios I go to advanced - onboard device config - nvraid config and disable the nvraid, sata drive will act as a eide drive then and should require no drivers or floppy/f6, hope this helps mate.

Muskrat

Last edited:
If the Old Drive was a SATA then the Driver was already installed for it to work...NO need to reinstall those Sata Drivers....

Back