Laptop dvd writer

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get old of a cheap Laptop dvd writer my cd/dvd-rom combi as gone down and im in desperate need of a re-format, any help appreciated, cheers.

need a bit more info m8, there are 100's of different laptops with loads of different shapes sizes and interfaces of dvd/cd for laptops.

what is the model of lappy

if poss what is the model / part number of the dvd/cd combi

cheers for the reply m8 its a fujitsu siemens amilo L7300 and the combi is a
qsi sbw242b im not sure about the part number as i havent taken it out yet i found a cheap sony dvdr/dl on fleebay and was hoping to replace it with that cheers for your help m8

seems there are loads about, which makes me suspicious, certainly on e-bay with many buy now features, for example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-AW-G540A...1845683QQihZ019QQcategoryZ96914QQcmdZViewItem

£38.50

but

there seem to be a lot of people with problems with this drive if u plug in qsi sbw242b to google/yahoo there are loads of hits with dvd/cd problems, most problems seem to revolve around firmware updates or better driver updates.

depending on the errors u are getting it might be worth a poke around those areas and try and update firmware/driver update before u shell out 38 quid.

cheers for the reply m8 ive allready been playing with the f/w and reset it back to the original but still no luck, so is it anything in particular i have to look for from the new drive or will any work with my lappy, cheers again m8.

thats weird the same bloke on fleebay is selling the exact same drive on another listing for £34.55 +postage?

Last edited:
my own experiance of lappy repairs is get the same as u have if u can, lappys seem to be a lot more picky when replacing parts.

i assume the sony drive is 1 u found not what is fitted ?

what does device manager report dvd/cd drive is ? sometimes this is just a generic model range and its only when u remove drive u get the real full part number.

cheers m8 the drive that is fitted in my lappy shows in device manager as a qsi cdrw\dvd sbw242b but the drive as you say is nothing but trouble after reading up on google thats why i wanted to get the sony one and also its a dvdr so its better all round is there anyway i can find out for sure if it will work or will it be pot luck as if poss i dont want to replece it with the same drive, cheers.

nah sorry, it is pot luck as to wether it will fit properly, never worked on fujitsu lappy. ive mainly done tosh, ibm , compaq, hp and vaio's.

u should be able to check the interface is ok ( and i mean in the right place) on the individual web sites, but its the locating lugs and screw holes that are normally different.

good luck :)

cheers m8 i think i may have to take the chance. if i was to remove the drive and post a pick would you mind having a look and giving me a ruff idea if it will fit or not i should be able to get it out prob tomorow. thanks for your help m8 im alot better off now but still not 100% lol.

usually on the fujitsu dvd/cd drives u can remove the section at the back and replace the drive with a standard drive
remove the drive and have a look
u may also need to remove the fronnt cover and replace that on the new drive

r u could get an external dvd writter i know its not ideal but laptop dvd writters are the best , built in ones that is

ive just tried to take the drive out but it looks like its screwed down inside with 1 screw at the back prob is ive taken every screw out and i cant get the bloody thing to pieces it seems to be stuck down near the screen but there are no screws left to un-do thanks for the input lads but ive no idea how to get it out how much am i talking for a installation done at a store or something normally i wouldnt give up but i think ill end up breaking it lol cheers again

if that is the case u will need to remove the keyboard and u will prob be able to see the screw, it will be right next to the interface connector (it will be to stop it from coming loose. or worse case u will need to remove the upper part of the case. lappys are a pain in the a*** when it comes to stripping down, having said that some are ase easy as pie, the compaq ones that were out just before hp took them over were a breeze (mind u that dont help u)

Back