Laptop buying advise

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I need a laptop to do some work from home and have a budget of £400-£450, 2nd hand not a problem 15"-16" , i7 16gb ram 256ssd are a rough guide.
Any links would be great

Never had a problem with dell. I have latitude at the moment and it’s about four years old and it has never missed a beat.

Mac everytime ;). But you wont get what you want for the money you're looking to pay.

We use Dell laptops in work decent enough kit. Whatever you get, just dban the drive, and reinstall windows and you should be fine. Unless it's SSD, as you cannot dban a SSD.

HP every time
Dell every time....
Just my 2 cents from repairing a multitude of HP and Dell servers. I would always go HP. The beep code/lights are far more informative than dell and are consistent throughout all the models I handled back in the day.

For example while with the Dells 1 beep on a r730 means RAM issue and on a R720 means a PSU. Cuz of that most the answers on the dell forum are wrong and you end up wasting endless time on the wrong thing. Best thing to do when troubleshooting Dells is get the manual of the model you have to identify the beep/light codes and ignore everything you read else where.

I put buying a new laptop on hold with all that's going on but a friends son has offered me one of these for £450. Bag, headphones, mouse, immaculate condition about 18 months old (sticker says manufacture 11/17)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156...4-256gb-m2-sata-ssdplus1tb-hdd-4gb-gtx-1050-t
Only thing I spotted was only 8gb ram but 8gb shouldn't be that dear should it ?

So do you think it's worth £450 ?

Deals done £450 for the lot, I'll bang some more ram in should be ok.

I bought asos rog i7 18 months ago.
Whatever you do....don't update nvidia graphic card drivers...known compatability problem resulting in dark screen.

Back