Guides and Info Laptop affecting broadband speed

2895rhodri

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys!! I've switched my broadband to bt infinity in January as the deal with money bk was good!!

1st few weeks speeds was really quick!! But since then speeds are varied down as low as 12 and up to 28 ish!! All on a wired connection!!

I've had engineers sent twice and the usual rigmarole of trying this and changing that!!

Im starting to get a bit irate now as they are sending me a new hub but are also saying if this doesnt work it will b my laptop!!

I'm by no means a technician but would a laptop slow a speed test down by 10+mbps!! It is an old laptop running Windows xp!!

Thanks

Rhodri

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

My sound bar interferes with my virgin media modem, reduces everything I can't see how your laptop would interfere with it, is there anything else that could cause interference try the speed test app on your phone see if there a diffrece in speeds

My wifi also varies but bt don't guarantee speeds on wifi!! What I think they're saying is as my laptop is so old when I do a speed test the speed its giving me is affected by the age and it's might have a virus so again would slow test down?? My wifi might be in the 30s but wired connection 14-16?? But they only guarantee a wired connection!

This is a peak time so speed will be slower it could be your laprop if it's running poorly try on your phone, I have saw my speed ls drop to 35-38 about this time but normally they are quite high, if you had good speeds when you just got it will most likely will be your lappy

But I can't see how my laptop would slow the test down?? I understand it would affect how quick pages ate loaded etc but the test is just a ping isnt it??

Ping is how fast you connect, a test will test your dl and ul speeds I think

Back