• Took one for the team - national hero

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Taking ino account maradonas hand of god and how the england fans felt and looking at it both from ghana and uruguays point of view, what do you think?

Cheat or taking one for the team?

In situations like that, there has to be some sort of rule whereby a "penalty goal" can be awarded.

The shot was clearly going in and Suarez deliberately stopped it on the line with his hand. He took the chance and it paid off as Ghana missed the last minute penalty.

FIFA should perhaps look at the rules to allow a team to score a "penalty goal" when they have an obvious goal stopped illegally by a handball on the line. That way a goal would be awarded and the offending player would be sent off.

Uruguay are effectively into the semi-finals because one of their players cheated.

And no I'm not saying that anyone else would have acted any differently to Suarez. I don't blame him for doing what he did, he chanced his arm (excuse the pun) and it worked. OK, he'll miss the semi-final against Holland now but if his team manages to beat them, he'll appear in the World Cup final. If he hadn't stopped that ball with his hand, none of the Uruguay team would have been appearing in the semis, never mind the final.

If players knew that, if they stopped the ball on the goal line with their hand/arm, their team would concede a goal as well as them being sent off, they might think twice about doing it.

:Cheers:

He cheated, was caught & punished.

Ghana had the penalty and missed, not his fault for that

Different to Maradona as he cheated and wasnt caught - Big difference in my eyes!

The referee had the opportunity to ensure that Ghana went through, by having the penalty re-taken, until the taker scored.

I didn't see it live but, have just watched the penalty on BBC and the keeper was off his line.
The ref can always have a penno re-taken, because there is always some encroachment.

Everybody knows that Uraguay should be out of the world cup, including whoever is going to ref them in the next game, I will therefore be amazed if the referee of that game lets Uraguay go through.

In situations like that, there has to be some sort of rule whereby a "penalty goal" can be awarded.

Agreed. They have the penalty try in Rugby. It's time football had the penalty goal for deliberate handling to prevent a ball crossing the line.

Apart from that incident though, Suarez is well-known as a cheat. Edgar Davids, who played with him at Ajax, said that even his own team mates were embarrassed by his diving antics.

Justice done in the end in my view as the free kick that led to the cross in ect was never a free kick. As for the hand ball well it was probably instinctive as it happened that quick he would not have time to think about it.

Justice done in the end in my view as the free kick that led to the cross in ect was never a free kick. As for the hand ball well it was probably instinctive as it happened that quick he would not have time to think about it.

EXACTLY!! Love how everyone forgets bout the bullcrap free kick that was given prior to this. Everyone is so far into the "ghana making Africa proud" bandwagon that they forget to report the match from unbias point of view.

As for Luis Suarez he is neither. He was punished according to the rules, and Ghana failed to take advantage when they should never hav been in that position anyway.
Shouldnt we call Manual Neur (german goalkeeper a cheat) for pulling back the ball after it clearly crossed the line and pretended it never did?

And talking of cheats in today's game every player is a cheat, they all dive, they all play-act, they all cynically take down players who get past them, they all do things to give their team advantage.

I will be supporting Uruguay, cos this suarez crusade is a load of balls.

I don't think he is a cheat, he did what came instinctively to him, as soon as he was sent off, I said to my m8...he could be a national hero if they miss this penalty.

He was punished by getting sent off and I would bet when the commitee look at it again, they will ban him from 2 matches and he will miss the final, that will be to appease the Africans.

I don't think he is a cheat, he did what came instinctively to him, as soon as he was sent off, I said to my m8...he could be a national hero if they miss this penalty.

He was punished by getting sent off and I would bet when the commitee look at it again, they will ban him from 2 matches and he will miss the final, that will be to appease the Africans.

I dont think they can up it m8.
Im sure its only violent conduct that carries a higher tarrif

Glad to see common sense prevailed, I was sure they would increase it just to appease the Africans but it wouldn't have been fair if they had.

Cheers for info kruger, unfortunately there is no thanks button due to MickieD fiddling with the site again...:proud:

You dont need a thanks button to say thank you m8 :p

but your welcome

:)

He will be the only person who will ever really know if he is a cheat if it was an impulsive action he is not a cheat if he had time to make a decision then he cheated.

My opinion is he did not cheat.

apparently he has said he did it on purpose and hoped to get away with it.

apparently he has said he did it on purpose and hoped to get away with it.

well it cant be an accident...if he had planned it well in advance then well its whole different story, but it was wat? 1 second to decide what to do. Manslaughter charges rather than murder in 1st degree.

what about the spanish penalty the fella wasnt sent off
then the pen was retaken and another penaty wasnt given
lol
ok spain got through

and what about france with the hand of henry

they all cheat part and parcel of the game

Back