King out of world cup - reports

huggi

VIP Fatty
Reaction score
KING OUT OF WORLD CUP - REPORTS
Posted 14/06/10 08:14EmailPrintSave

Ledley King will reportedly miss the rest of the World Cup.

The Tottenham defender, drafted in to the England side after Rio Ferdinand's knee injury, lasted only 45 minutes of England's first Group C game against the USA on Saturday.

King suffered a groin injury in the first half in Rustenburg, and while he struggled on until half-time, was replaced by Jamie Carragher.

While the injury obviously has nothing directly to do with King's long-standing knee problem, his inability to train as a normal footballer does means he generally takes longer to recover from other knocks.

Reports suggest it would take between two and three weeks for King to fully recover from the current problem, which would make him doubtful for even potential quarter and semi-finals, assuming England get there. Which, given their current problems, is quite a big assumption.

Capello was optimistic about King's fitness immediately after the game, saying King would "probably" be fit for England's second game against Algeria on Friday, and that it was "only a little problem."

However, if the reports on Monday are correct, he will have to decide between Carragher, Matthew Upson and Michael Dawson to partner John Terry.

All three present their own problems, given how Carragher's lack of pace was exposed on a couple of occasions by the Americans, while Upson has had an uneven season for West Ham and Dawson has yet to play a minute of international football, and was of course left out of the initial 23-man squad.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | KING OUT OF WORLD CUP - REPORTS

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
KING OUT OF WORLD CUP - REPORTS
Posted 14/06/10 08:14EmailPrintSave

All three present their own problems, given how Carragher's lack of pace was exposed on a couple of occasions by the Americans, while Upson has had an uneven season for West Ham and Dawson has yet to play a minute of international football, and was of course left out of the initial 23-man squad.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | KING OUT OF WORLD CUP - REPORTS

opta stats -
Fabio Capello could be boosted by the presence of five England players in Opta’s team of the season, including three defenders: Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole and John Terry, leaving only one position in defence available (the next highest-ranked central defender on the Opta Index was Spurs’ Michael Dawson).
FEATURE The Opta Premier League Team of the Season

Still can't make out why Dawson was left out of the original 23 but I would go with him. The German's started yesterdays game with 2 players on 2 caps so shouldn't really be a big issue. Dawson did play a part of a warm up match last week however there was no caps for that game.

We'll have to wait and see with King as nothing has been officalially confirmed yet but they did say it was a strain not a tear.

From the bbc....
"As a general rule, if it is a grade one groin tear it would mean he is out for three weeks. If it's a grade two then it is four to six weeks and if it's a complete rupture it would mean surgery."

nara

Who?
VIP Member
Reaction score
The Tottenham defender, drafted in to the England side after Rio Ferdinand's knee injury, lasted only 45 minutes of England's first Group C game against the USA on Saturday.

That bit's incorrect. It was Dawson who was drafted in after Ferdinand's injury.

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
That bit's incorrect. It was Dawson who was drafted in after Ferdinand's injury.

think it meant drafted into the startin lineup....?

huggi

VIP Fatty
Reaction score
on the bbc england camp news on the world cup coverage, they say he wont be playing friday but are keeping an eye on him day to day for any change.

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
i think u can safely say his tournament's over.. if we were to progress to the last 16/quarter finals, its safe to say that the back 4 would be fairly settled and i couldnt see capello changing it at a such a crucial time... imo ledley king = liability!

Raven24

Banned
Reaction score
i think u can safely say his tournament's over.. if we were to progress to the last 16/quarter finals, its safe to say that the back 4 would be fairly settled and i couldnt see capello changing it at a such a crucial time... imo ledley king = liability!

No that's Rio....but it is a wasted spot on the roster though. You have 2 defenders crocked, 1 who isn't likely to play as much as we want him to and then we have another who has been retired from the international game for years coming back for one last crack at the big time - shouldn't be allowed that btw....if you retire you retire, if friendlies and qualifiers are too much trouble for you then the World Cup should be out of the question too. Zidane did it in the last World Cup he came out of international retirement and he ended up nutting some italian in the final and getting a red card.

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
No that's Rio....but it is a wasted spot on the roster though. You have 2 defenders crocked, 1 who isn't likely to play as much as we want him to and then we have another who has been retired from the international game for years coming back for one last crack at the big time - shouldn't be allowed that btw....if you retire you retire, if friendlies and qualifiers are too much trouble for you then the World Cup should be out of the question too. Zidane did it in the last World Cup he came out of international retirement and he ended up nutting some italian in the final and getting a red card.

thats ur opinion m8... rio has been unfortuante and has had an torrid injury time over the last 18 months, no arguments there. but king has had an injury ridden career whereby he can only manage a game a week and train on the 1st team schedule once a week... so for me callin rio a liability is way over the top..

Last edited:

Raven24

Banned
Reaction score
thats ur opinion m8... rio has been unfortuante and has had an torrid injury time over the last 18 months, no arguments there. but king has had an injury ridden career whereby he can only manage a game a week and train on the 1st team schedule once a week... so for me callin rio a liability is way over the top..

Not that I don't respect your opinion but way OTT ? Are you sure m8 ? You can say what you like about Ledley King but he's been great this past year with Dawson so those two earned their call ups as it were - Rio has been wank this year when he has played and even Fergie has as good as said so in the past and that's when he's not been out for long stretches with a back injury....so as it's turned out both Ledley and Rio's inclusion were a waste of a roster slot which could have gone to a (and may have been better served going to) David Bentley or a Paul Robinson.

Obviously both King and Rio are injury prone but on the pitch lately you give me the choice of Ledley or Rio and it's a no brainer in favor of Ledley King because Rio is a liability on the pitch as well as off it - need I remind you of his 9 month drug ban when he first went to Man U. £30 million and he can't play for a season - sounds like a liability to me....

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Not that I don't respect your opinion but way OTT ? Are you sure m8 ? You can say what you like about Ledley King but he's been great this past year with Dawson so those two earned their call ups as it were - Rio has been wank this year when he has played and even Fergie has as good as said so in the past and that's when he's not been out for long stretches with a back injury....so as it's turned out both Ledley and Rio's inclusion were a waste of a roster slot which could have gone to a (and may have been better served going to) David Bentley or a Paul Robinson.

Obviously both King and Rio are injury prone but on the pitch lately you give me the choice of Ledley or Rio and it's a no brainer in favor of Ledley King because Rio is a liability on the pitch as well as off it - need I remind you of his 9 month drug ban when he first went to Man U. £30 million and he can't play for a season - sounds like a liability to me....

lol

what d'ya mean he cant play for a season? its very rare for players to play every single game especially at utd where the team in fighting for 4 trophies. im surprised king has managed a full prem season... rio's premiership stats for utd:

Season Games Played

2002–03 28
2003–04 20 (drugs ban)
2004–05 31
2005–06 37
2006–07 33
2007–08 35
2008–09 24
2009–10 13
Total 221

King's stats

2002–03 25
2003–04 29
2004–05 38
2005–06 26
2006–07 21
2007–08 4
2008–09 24
2009–10 19
Total 186

there's no doubt that king has had a better season than rio, mainly because king didnt have that usual injury ravaged season which gave him continuity and consistency and for that reason personally i dont think its a fair comparison. if you were to compare rio from for me his best season when we won the double in 07/08 and king of last season which was his best season in terms of performance then rio wipes the floor clean without a doubt. he was the best central defender in world football imo at the time.

just looking at some more stats, rio in his career to date has made approx 650 appearances for club country compared to king who has made approx 310. so way OTT m8? i think so.... and to label him injury prone.. think thats harsh as well... a fit rio and firing rio is a better defender than a fit and firing ledley king imo...

p.s. king only made 6 more premiership appearances than rio last season.

Raven24

Banned
Reaction score
9 month ban wasn't it for apparently forgetting his piss test ?

Not saying Rio wasn't injury prone - but he is now. And I wasn't saying he isn't a good player....I'm saying he's been shit for a season or two and has been a liability for both club and country being picked on name value alone. Basically he's past it imo...and given the nature of his injuries (back) and length of time out I hate to say it but unless his fitness improves drastically I don't think he'll last long before he has to call it a day.

But this is a Leeds fan talking to a Man U fan so clearly there's going to be differing opinion....but I'm talking about relative here and now regarding Rio and his performances.....but if you want to talk about the past regarding Rio to prove your point then that's cool but it makes no difference what we have now - but the thing is Rio of old was a quality player....but he was younger....hungrier....pacier....fitter....to be honest I don't think he's been as good since he left Leeds and after his drug ban. Okay we're both biased obviously but I honestly think he'd dipped a bit at Man U. But now he is a liability. He gets sold time after time and that's not the worst of it when he's taking a limited slot on the plane to major tournaments then getting injured. I blame Capello for that though.

Last edited:
TEST