Just started another batch of wine

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
This is a seven-day kit from WineWorks, the Premium Merlot :).

It might be interesting to compare fermentation rates if anyone else does these, I'm sure mine is fermenting a little too fast. Perhaps it's the ambient temperature.

Pitched the yeast at 23.5C must temperature and the S.G. was 1.075 (corrected for temperature), ambient is 22C.

;)

Sorry, I got distracted from this important topic :).

This one seemed to take a few days to start but here's a graph of the specific gravity and a spreadsheet with temperatures of interest.

Edit the blue section in the spreadsheet to use it yourselves and the temperature corrected specific gravity for your hydrometer is calculated. Remember to set the hydrometer calibration temperature at the top.

It's difficult to regulate temperature in here :(.

Tastes alright but it's not had much time to settle in the bottle.

Attachments

• Merlot 12.10.2012.JPG
    Merlot 12.10.2012.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DW SG Graph.rar
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
;)

Tastes alright but it's not had much time to settle in the bottle.

This is one thing I have been reading a lot about. I always thought that once the wine was bottled, thats it, no more change (unless air got to it). But the more I read on the home bre sites the more I see people saying that the wine has to settle in the bottle, sometimes for years!!

Whats the longest you have left it?

I think about a month, maybe it could have done with longer! There was a bit of a "sharp fizzy" taste to it. Difficult to explain tastes and I'm no Jilly Goolden :).

With it being a quick fermenting one I wasn't too sure if letting it age will help it a lot.

Back