Just inherited an ambit 200

Nygie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Went to a job today and got given an ambit 200, the punter said N*L told him to bin it. : multi :
It is from the same area as me (ex c&w).
Questions I have......
If I plug it in and it works am I at risk?
We it be blocked by the provider shortly after connection?
Should I replace the software and keep the MAC address?
Or change everything!!

Thanks ppl

Another question.
Can I pull all the area details and frequency off this modem. I have a max232 at the ready. Also have a 250 coming next week!
BTW I haven't done any of this before, totally new to it!

Ok, having no replies I set about the modem armed with the TUT i found for the 200.
I flashed the modem and followed the tut, when i got to this section I was a little stumped on where i find this info, searched and searched but must be searching the wrong keywords.

cd /non-vol/halif
mac_address 1 aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (change this to a valid mac) DONE THIS BIT
cm_tuner 14 I THINK THIS IS 19??
annex_a I THINK THIS IS OK
cm_annex 3 (pure NTL areas ONLY should enter this) I AM EX C&W SO THIS NOT NEADED
cd ../docsis
ds_frequency 402750000 THIS?? I FOUND THIS IN MY SEARCHING 586750000

WITH IT SET UP AS ABOVE IT DID NOT GET A LOCK!

any help would be appreciated
Thanks

no you need to keep it at cm_tuner 14 for ex cable and wireless

and just a little warning,the sigma x2 firmware takes a little time to lock on

hth

Slimbo :D

hi nygie, 1 thing i will say is that with sigma u will need to redo the settings quite regularly. tbh i think it pants. however by putting normal sb5100 shelled firmware on it u will have all the benefits of sigma but it will be stable

Ah, ok I will try that tomorrow.
It got a lock, but the lights on the modem do not seem to be working correectly.
My router reported a valid IP address, but i could not get an internet connection!
A little odd! maybe the MAC address that came on the modem has been blocked??
Maybe you could point me in the right direction of the correct tut for this, there's so much for the sb5100 in the search!

thanks

Last edited:
with sigma on a 200 u'll only get the power light and one other light think its the ready. So nada to worry about there.

Oops, flashed the 128 sigma from the web interface via tftp and now no ready light and no web interface. Oops LOL

If the MAC was no good, would it still get an IP addy?
The sb5100 firmware... do i need a hacked version?
And is it the same flashing technique as the sigma.
Having had sigma on the 200 will i need to change the bootloader?

the bootloader is the 1,2,p bit at the start which allows u to upload a new firmware etc, so if u wish to change and have buggered another firmware u will need this.
If the mac is being used in that ubr yes u prob will still get an ip and get online but only for a few min and then u will be kicked off again and ur modem will reboot.

The 5100 firmware is the hacked firmware for the 5100 which would work on another modem of the same chip afaik.

Back