Joomla Help

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey,

1. I have installed Joomla v1.5 and i am ready to start creating a site. I want to be able to create a Personal Portfolio Website with the ability to use "Simple Viewer" (a photo vieweing feature - ) and wanted to know where I can obtain Personal Portfolio Templates for me to use and then edit?

2. Can someone also tell me when I choose a Domain/Webhosting company - dO I need to go for LINUX or Windows? From what I heard LINUX is the one to use for Joomla or am I wrong?

3. Can someone suggest the best webhosting firm which has cheapest price? I need to buy a .co.uk domain too.

It would be nice to speak to people doing the website designing to understand more if possible

Thanks

Rgds,

Have you used Joomla before? know html / css?

Joomla is in my opinion one of the more difficult CMS - especially the admin panel... its not very intuitive.
If your just starting out with web stuff then i would recommend you have a look at either wordpress or cmsmadesimple.

Any half decent webhost will be able to host your website without any problems no matter what cms you choose.

You only need a Windows server if you plan on using .net.

Linux servers will always be cheaper than Windows and are used for php.

Yes, use Linux for Jamoola.

I use HostPapa.co.uk for hosting. You get a free domain name for life with them. I all it works out about £80/year and you can host unlimited domains/websites on your account, not just one.

You can buy domain names seperatly if you want. I have always used 123-reg.co.uk to do this.

Hi I havent used Joomla before but Ive done an IT degree and done bits of Java too. It is not too complicated though is it? I am planning to use a template and create a portfolio website? - can you suggest good templates I can use/

So i will go for linux...is there anything cheaper than £80.00 per year? Does this give unlimited bandwith etc?

Id do some reading if I were you about the pro's and cons of the different cms systems - why have you gone for joomla?

Personally if I were you and you havent done web design before id steer well clear of joomla .. its overkill for what you need.

If your just starting out then I would go for wordpress... plenty of templates and support for it.

I personally use Drupal for websites but wordpress in this instance will more than suffice.

Back