Joomla Help

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey,

1. I have installed Joomla v1.5 and i am ready to start creating a site. I want to be able to create a Personal Portfolio Website with the ability to use "Simple Viewer" (a photo vieweing feature - ) and wanted to know where I can obtain Personal Portfolio Templates for me to use and then edit?

2. Can someone also tell me when I choose a Domain/Webhosting company - dO I need to go for LINUX or Windows? From what I heard LINUX is the one to use for Joomla or am I wrong?

3. Can someone suggest the best webhosting firm which has cheapest price? I need to buy a .co.uk domain too.

It would be nice to speak to people doing the website designing to understand more if possible

Thanks

Rgds,

steharg

Inactive User
Reaction score
Have you used Joomla before? know html / css?

Joomla is in my opinion one of the more difficult CMS - especially the admin panel... its not very intuitive.
If your just starting out with web stuff then i would recommend you have a look at either wordpress or cmsmadesimple.

Any half decent webhost will be able to host your website without any problems no matter what cms you choose.

Utopie

Inactive User
Reaction score
You only need a Windows server if you plan on using .net.

Linux servers will always be cheaper than Windows and are used for php.

Yes, use Linux for Jamoola.

I use HostPapa.co.uk for hosting. You get a free domain name for life with them. I all it works out about £80/year and you can host unlimited domains/websites on your account, not just one.

You can buy domain names seperatly if you want. I have always used 123-reg.co.uk to do this.

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi I havent used Joomla before but Ive done an IT degree and done bits of Java too. It is not too complicated though is it? I am planning to use a template and create a portfolio website? - can you suggest good templates I can use/

So i will go for linux...is there anything cheaper than £80.00 per year? Does this give unlimited bandwith etc?

steharg

Inactive User
Reaction score
Id do some reading if I were you about the pro's and cons of the different cms systems - why have you gone for joomla?

Personally if I were you and you havent done web design before id steer well clear of joomla .. its overkill for what you need.

If your just starting out then I would go for wordpress... plenty of templates and support for it.

I personally use Drupal for websites but wordpress in this instance will more than suffice.

TEST