Joiner advice needed?

chronoman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
had a leak in bathroom from shower cubicle for some time.
i ripped the flooring and boards up and have noticed the joists are rotten half way down at end.
can i repair these with anything to avoid ripping the joist out for 300 mm of end.
I am insured but would rather repair if its reasonable as i got £100 excess but know insurance will increase also.
i have inc photos .
any advice appreciated.
my laminate in that corner isnt required as it under bath and shower but if i remove joist the job is going to be very expensive.
i have a dehumidifier to dry out but middle and right beam are rotten half way down at edge

is that concrete under the floor? if it is rip out what you like m8. just make a sub floor using timber and replace the flooring. it would be an easier job to rip the lot up and start again, rather than trying to patch it up.

You could try splinting them cut two pieces of joist the size you want buy a couple of wall hangers for the out side wall and bolt all three joist together. treat the wood and you should be ok

is that concrete under the floor? if it is rip out what you like m8. just make a sub floor using timber and replace the flooring. it would be an easier job to rip the lot up and start again, rather than trying to patch it up.
its got and underpass under the bathroom .
i am mid terraced and uder where the leak was is the underpass to my back garden.
i think its gotta be strengthened bedelow.
The joist isnt into the wall where its damag

its an easy repair m8 looks like the joists are just sitting on the concrete floor.

Take a couple more floor boards up to give yourself more room
Cut the damaged joists back at least 4" after any rot,
Treat the ends with some rot treatment (Ronseal wood Treatment) is quite good,
Then join new joists with an overhang of apporx 12" using a couple of coach bolts for each joist make sure the joists are the same size as original ones

Job done

dug rubble away and there are 2 joists one on top of each other.
the bottom joint is wet but doesnt seem rotton ,once i reched under the rubble it seemed to be that stripping that old plasterboard was made from.
could this just be plasterboard uderneath to outside?
i have taken two photo's of underpass and it has nails in it?
Any help appreciated fellas

dug rubble away and there are 2 joists one on top of each other.
the bottom joint is wet but doesnt seem rotton ,once i reched under the rubble it seemed to be that stripping that old plasterboard was made from.
could this just be plasterboard uderneath to outside?
i have taken two photo's of underpass and it has nails in it?
Any help appreciated fellas

You are doing great Chronoman concentrate on strengthening them joists with new timber bolted to it and fastened to that wall at the other end.When you have done that dont pick at that wet patch on the floor clean it and then treat it with the recomended sealing paint.

You are doing great Chronoman concentrate on strengthening them joists with new timber bolted to it and fastened to that wall at the other end.When you have done that dont pick at that wet patch on the floor clean it and then treat it with the recomended sealing paint.

you lost me at the last bit.
i presume you mean where i hit it with the jimmy bar,i did this to to see how solid it was.
i got a fan and humidifier running so will leave a couple days to hopefully dry out.
do i clamp new joist paralell with old ?
do i need to attach to wall as old joist arent as i can feel them at wall?

you lost me at the last bit.
i presume you mean where i hit it with the jimmy bar,i did this to to see how solid it was.
i got a fan and humidifier running so will leave a couple days to hopefully dry out.
do i clamp new joist paralell with old ?
do i need to attach to wall as old joist arent as i can feel them at wall?

Yes m8 bolt the new joists paralell to the old ones trace back to good strong wood and bolt them together. At the other end of the wall can you bolt a wall bracket to the wall for extra strength you need it solid ready for the shower cubicle to go back?.IF yes do it? make it a good strong job.finally fill that hole when its dry and treat all of the wood and floor with proper damp sealer. goodluck m8 keep us posted.

imagine the base under your joists. it has to be solid. so your new timber can just sit on top of it. no need for fancy brackets etc. just glue the timber down and secure the new flooring to the glued down joists. you wont need to tie any timber in to the walls. imagine a concrete garage floor and you wanted to raise it up and put a wooden floor down. thats what is under your bathroom. basicly a concrete slab.

imagine the base under your joists. it has to be solid. so your new timber can just sit on top of it. no need for fancy brackets etc. just glue the timber down and secure the new flooring to the glued down joists. you wont need to tie any timber in to the walls. imagine a concrete garage floor and you wanted to raise it up and put a wooden floor down. thats what is under your bathroom. basicly a concrete slab.
its 1938 ex council bathroom upstairs ,this will be concrete upstairs?

Last edited:
looking at your photos it appears to be, and you said the joists werent tied in to the wall. the exposed area in your photo is above a communal close. i would give it a thump with a hammer to double check. but i would bet that its a preformed slab(s)going underneath your timber. hence why when taking a shower no one, so far has landed downstairs slighty embarresed and naked. if you want to talk a bit better i can pm u my number.

I dont think it is solid concrete m8 going by them pics,

It looks like the bottom joists run into the wall/wall hanger and then the top joists sit on the bottom ones,

Have to say its a very strange arrangement and I would get professional advice m8.

These need bolting not glued there is a shower cubicle or a bath going on it glue is not strong enough.

These need bolting not glued there is a shower cubicle or a bath going on it glue is not strong enough.

tied to what? so long as the timber is glued in place under the flooring it fine. it will never move. the joist are resting on the preform anyway. glue is just to let you work with it easier. do stuff like this all the time. i do bathrooms and kitchens. you only need tie the timber if it load bearing. here it isnt, the concrete floor is the load. the timber is resting on it.

tied to what? so long as the timber is glued in place under the flooring it fine. it will never move. the joist are resting on the preform anyway. glue is just to let you work with it easier. do stuff like this all the time. i do bathrooms and kitchens. you only need tie the timber if it load bearing. here it isnt, the concrete floor is the load. the timber is resting on it.

Chronoman wants to replace or repair the damaged section not the complete floor.To do this you run a joist alongside the existing one and bolt the two together to strengthen the area. You must be thinking that the new joist sits on top. If he did this the floor would be uneven.

Chronoman wants to replace or repair the damaged section not the complete floor.To do this you run a joist alongside the existing one and bolt the two together to strengthen the area. You must be thinking that the new joist sits on top. If he did this the floor would be uneven.

im sorry am lost now, what? why are you wanting to bolt joists etc? its sitting on concrete. when you screw the new floor on top of the new joists, it will NEVER MOVE!

Back