Joe Cole new No.7 @ Liverpool

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Liverpool have swooped to secure the services of England international Joe Cole on a four-year deal, subject to a medical.

The talented midfielder became a free agent at the start of the month when his contract with Chelsea expired with the Blues electing not to extend his seven-year stay at Stamford Bridge.

New Reds boss Roy Hodgson claimed at the weekend that he had not held talks with the former West Ham player, but the deal has now been concluded.

Cole moved to Chelsea from Upton Park in a £6.6million switch in the summer of 2003 but was shown the door with the Blues not willing to meet his wage demands.

The 28-year-old has three Premier League winners' medals to show from his time in West London and also helped Chelsea to two FA Cup successes.

Cole was part of Fabio Capello's England squad for the dismal World Cup display in South Africa this summer but was restricted to a bit-part role as the Three Lions crashed out in the second round with a 4-1 humbling by Germany.

Hodgson will hope Cole's ability to unlock defences will help the Reds climb back into the UEFA Champions League reckoning following their disappointing seventh-place finish last term.

The creative Cole has rejected advances from rival Premier League teams - including those who could offer Champions League football this season - to compete in the Europa League with the Reds.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Liverpool FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Joe Cole on a four-year deal.

"The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with the Reds and will undergo a medical in the next 48 hours."

Kop Sign Cole

Liverpool have swooped to secure the services of England international Joe Cole on a four-year deal, subject to a medical.

The talented midfielder became a free agent at the start of the month when his contract with Chelsea expired with the Blues electing not to extend his seven-year stay at Stamford Bridge.

New Reds boss Roy Hodgson claimed at the weekend that he had not held talks with the former West Ham player, but the deal has now been concluded.

Cole moved to Chelsea from Upton Park in a £6.6million switch in the summer of 2003 but was shown the door with the Blues not willing to meet his wage demands.

The 28-year-old has three Premier League winners' medals to show from his time in West London and also helped Chelsea to two FA Cup successes.
Creative

Cole was part of Fabio Capello's England squad for the dismal World Cup display in South Africa this summer but was restricted to a bit-part role as the Three Lions crashed out in the second round with a 4-1 humbling by Germany.

Hodgson will hope Cole's ability to unlock defences will help the Reds climb back into the UEFA Champions League reckoning following their disappointing seventh-place finish last term.

The creative Cole has rejected advances from rival Premier League teams - including those who could offer Champions League football this season - to compete in the Europa League with the Reds.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Liverpool FC are delighted to confirm the signing of Joe Cole on a four-year deal.

"The England midfielder has agreed personal terms with the Reds and will undergo a medical in the next 48 hours."

Source: Sky Sports | Football News | Premier League | Liverpool | Liverpool swoop for Cole

Would have thought Man Utd would have had him, with Scholes and Giggs at the end of their careers he would have been a great choice and would have linked up with Rooney very well.

Maybe this is due to Gerrard or Torres going and Cole is going to fill the gap?

Re: Joe Cole new No7 @ Liverpool

just heard this now ..think its a good signeing for L/pool ..think he's a good player like the man ..just hope the "big player's" stay. allthou am an everton supporter .wouldnt like to see liverpool go the leeds way .need the yanks to go and the rest to stay

didnt expect that one, wonder how much his wage is though.

I too would have thought Man United would heavily go for him, as he can play across midfield, has experience of playing football at highest level, is english so helps fill UEFA quota, and has no transfer fee attached.

Fantastic addition to the squad and the type of player that we have not had for a long time.

A worthy No7.

Well done Roy Hodgson

I was hoping we would sign him but the longer it went on the more I was beginning to think joe was holding out for the most money, I have never seen a player more whored in a transfer summer than joe lol.

No offence to liverpool as I am a small fan deep down but I do not think his move had anything to do with ambition.

In my opinion he should have signed for Tottenham... yes I know its hard to say even lol but he would have had a chance in the champions league and they are really coming on leaps and bounds with a new 59,000 (LMAO SMALLER THAN OURS) stadium being built.

And he loves harry, and harry loves him... to me that says one thing its all about the money, and that is not a great attitude to have.

But he is a class player on his day, and maybe he might re-ignite his career.

Mickie

I was hoping we would sign him but the longer it went on the more I was beginning to think joe was holding out for the most money, I have never seen a player more whored in a transfer summer than joe lol.

No offence to liverpool as I am a small fan deep down but I do not think his move had anything to do with ambition.

In my opinion he should have signed for Tottenham... yes I know its hard to say even lol but he would have had a chance in the champions league and they are really coming on leaps and bounds with a new 59,000 (LMAO SMALLER THAN OURS) stadium being built.

And he loves harry, and harry loves him... to me that says one thing its all about the money, and that is not a great attitude to have.

But he is a class player on his day, and maybe he might re-ignite his career.

Mickie

Completely agree with everything. Spurs would have been the best option for him, with the English contingent there aswell and CL football he could have been a real top player there with Harry knowing him so well aswell it would have been huge for Spurs.

Must definatly be for the money but expect in the next few days: ' This is my dream move, everybody wants to play for this team etc. ' He has gone for the money and money only, Yes Roy is a good manager but surely he couldn't have tempted Cole out of going to Spurs for the same amount of money. Chelsea refused to give him a new contract cause of his wag demands so what is he on at Pool???

Hope he gets to show what he can at Liverpool but with Gerrard playing just off Torres, Cole will have to be shoved out wide, where I think he is best used in that playmaker position which he would have had playing at Spurs, Arsenal or Utd.

He wants 1st team football and with the players we have, Cole is a sure fire start and I think it may help keep Gerrard and Torres.

Great signing.

ur all saying its money i would say the long term contract 4yrs

that is what he wanted

I do agree with both of you dave and jaffa... he would get first team football 100%

He could not guarantee that at Arsenal with our very strong midfield (dont worry I know the rest lacks lol but our midfield is pretty decent - unless that Spanish twat signs for barca then cole would of been a great signing lol)

I do think though that spurs would of offered him a 4 year deal and I also believe he would start at Tottenham with only modric the better player in my opinion.

100% money guys.

Mickie

We have made a BIG mistake letting him go, but I wish him all the best he has been a class player for Chelsea, Liverpool have had a result I would say :)

100% money guys.

Exactly. He didnt extend his contract with Chelski because he wanted more money, and he signed for Liverpool because they were willing to pay him the most money. If it was not he would have gone to Spurs.

You lot are making me laugh with the
"he has only gone there for the money"

Every player that moves clubs usually gets a pay rise.
Tottenham could have sold any of their midfielders to pay for Coles wages.
Arsenal didn't have a problem paying Campbell a huge wage when he came on a free.

"he could have has champions league at Tottenham"
They have got to qualify yet, remember Everton a few years ago.
Being in the Champs league killed their season.

Just maybe he has decided that playing for Liverpool, on a regular basis for an English manager, in his favoured position, might just get him a regular England place.

We all know that he is the kind of player that can unlock stubborn defences.

I heard a guy on Talksport tell about the time that two kids teams were playing a football match when Joe was driving by.
He stopped his car and got out and watched them, he just loves playing football, and when he can't play he loves to watch.
But he doesn't love watching from the subs bench.
Come on guys give the guy some credit.
He has gone to Liverpool to play matches.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United,
spacer.gif
AC Milan
and Valencia were all linked with the ex-West Ham man, but Liverpool were prepared to complete a deal.
Reports have suggested that Cole's four-year contract will be worth £90,000 a week and that other clubs were unwilling to offer a similar terms.

looks like it was money

lol

thats chicken feed now for a player

Every club in the world wanted sol campbell including utd, barca, real madrid.

He came to us for sporting reasons because he could of got allot more money from man u - well just about everyone lol.. and he won the league in his first season.

I am not knocking you for signing cole infact I think its a great signing.

But I do not believe it was ambition that has taken him to liverpool sorry guys just my opinion.

If he wanted to play for arsenal I am sure he could of but choose not to for whatever reason.

I doubt it was money with arsenal either because we have more than anyone except the chavs and city... for obvious reasons lol... maybe he was scared he would not play???

But you got a great signing lads no doubt.

Mickie

top signing... bargain of the season by far unless someone gets ronaldo for £50m! lol

Reported in the Daily Star that Joe Cole turned down two more lucrative offers to join Liverpool.

So it wasn't all about the money.

Cole had better money offers according to most reports :Clap:

The Guardians quote.
Liverpool's offer to Cole, who was available on a free following Chelsea's refusal to extend his contract at Stamford Bridge, is understood to have bettered the terms available in north London but was not the most lucrative deal on the table. West Ham United, one of Cole's former clubs, made the highest offer to the 28-year-old but the prospect of joining Liverpool, and regular first-team football under the new manager, Roy Hodgson, swayed him.

Cole's decision gives the lie to the notion that remaining in the capital on the most lucrative contract available was his over-riding ambition. The Chelsea manager, Carlo Ancelotti, claimed at the weekend that Cole's problem at Stamford Bridge was not personal but economic.

Top signing and will prove the doubters wrong :Clap::banana:

Back