Jobs Moving Back To USA

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
By SHARON ALFONSI Abc News
June 24, 2008

As the cost of shipping continues to soar along with fuel prices, homegrown manufacturing jobs are making a comeback after decades of decline.

Rising fuel prices has caused shipping costs to more than double, making local manufacturing a more affordable option for some companies.

While it once cost $3,000 to ship a container from a city like Shanghai to New York, it now costs $8,000, prompting some businesses to look closer to home for manufacturing needs.

Furniture designer Carol Gregg used to have her signature Chinese chests assembled in China, but such a luxury no longer seems viable, considering that some of her pieces now cost five times more to ship.

So now Gregg is having the chests made in North Carolina, simply because its cheaper.

Some large companies like Crown Battery are cutting expenses by moving jobs from Mexico to Ohio. And hair care company Farouk Systems plans to shift all of its production from China to Houston this summer — bringing with it 1,000 jobs.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5235731&page=1

(Will this happen in the UK?)

very interesting that , is that what all this oil fixing is all about ? big increase in tax and less money going out of the countrys .. holidays next , the fuel for planes have been fixed till august so there going to shot through the roof after that

I guess its a short term ploy to save some money. I don't see how long we can sustain such high oil prices plus the major consideration here is retraining people for particular jobs, something which will prove to be difficult IMHO. I dont think this will last too long though.

Oil prices will come down to well under $100/barrel once demand has been lowered again. I guess the only way to reduce the peoples consumption of oil is to price it out of the market and it seems to have worked so far.

I guess its a short term ploy to save some money. I don't see how long we can sustain such high oil prices plus the major consideration here is retraining people for particular jobs, something which will prove to be difficult IMHO. I dont think this will last too long though.

Oil prices will come down to well under $100/barrel once demand has been lowered again. I guess the only way to reduce the peoples consumption of oil is to price it out of the market and it seems to have worked so far.

I saw on ABCNews last night that $30 of the price was solely due to speculators

They broke it down as: Supply and demand $75
Speculators $30
Low Dollar $20
Contigency $10 (whatever that's for??)

Back