Jerky Video playback

Nygie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Having a slight problem with one of the pc's.
It's a dual core 2.13 i think with 1.5 Gig RAM and a pci-e geoforce 7300gs
The problem being the video playback is jerky - both avi, and DVD video.
After the problem started I installed the ACE codec pack thinking it was a codec problem, but it is still the same!
I tried old and new graphics drivers to no avail!
Any idea's anyone?

I ran PassMark Performance test which the graphics seem to do pretty well in!
Hmm

have u tried different players, sometimes the mediaplayer seems to have fits
try updating it as well, uninstall all the codecs and then try

have u tried different players, sometimes the mediaplayer seems to have fits
try updating it as well, uninstall all the codecs and then try

Tried WinDVD, media player 11, media player classic and another of which the name escapes me.

Try vlc player it has its own independant codecs so it will rule out the codec problem if you still have stuttering on playback.

Tried VLC and it too is Jerky, this would lead me to either RAM, Graphics CArd or CPU??

Look in your task manager under processes and see what programs are using the most memory because I would think that 1.5gb was plenty unless you have loads of programs running in the background, but I thik that it now rules out codecs as the problem.

Sounds like ddr memory mate or video card to me thats the problem, try one stick of ram or change the slots about and try it, arso take the video card out and reseat it back in the slot.

May help

I checked the DX it is version 9c, but the individual components of DX have differing version numbers 5.zz or 6.xx on most of them.

I will try reseating the card and pulling some memory.
Cheers

What about streaming files direct from the hard disk? Are they still jerky?

Also what about testing the direct 3D an direct Draw under dxdiag......are these jerky?

The square bouncy box is jerky, hence the reinstall of DirectX.

The saga continues.... I got the card swapped today from an Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS to a 7600 GS and exactley the same damn problem!

With Windows drivers its fine on playback but with the Nvidia driver, old, current and beta we have jerkyness!!!

Very strange!

If this makes an iota of difference USB mouse is nice and smooth and
PS2 mouse is Jerky!!!

have you tried kazzite codec m8..do a google.. kazza mega codec
I have pretty much ruled out the sound card element.... it's the same with it disabled!
It is sure it's not a codec problem, as it is fine on standard XP VGA drivers but these do not allow dual screen!!

Try this mate.

Open up VLC, go to preferences, tick the little box for "advanced options" (bottom right). Then on the left go to Video --> Output modules and change the video output module from "default" to "OpenGL video". Hit OK etc and try a video. If it now works OK, means your DX/Direct Draw is screwed. Rebuild is the best option.

Tried WinDVD, media player 11, media player classic and another of which the name escapes me.
Hi, this might sound a bit daft but are you using DVD's/CD's media or running files (Audio/Video files) from PC? If you are using DVD/CD Media then I think it might be the extra layer of label that is stuck on to the DVD/CD may give extra weight and can make viewing jerky.

Back