JBL tweeter speaker repair help needed (ferrofluid)

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently lew a 15" JBL full range speaker (replaced now working) and the tweeter stopped working JRX-115 cab, tweeter = 2412H-1. It's my first time replacing on a horn/tweeter so I ordered a new diaphragm thinknig it was that but this is were it becomes a bit of a cloudy area. The problem is, do you use ferrofluid or not when replacing the diaphragm ?

This one doesn't;-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this one does:-

I replaced the diaphragm this morning with a brand new one and it didn't work. I metered it and I think I been sold a duff as I'm getting nothing on the meter. I checked the internal crossover's fine by sticking the horn in from the other working speaker and it's working fine. I then cleaned out the old diaphragm again and reseated it a few different times and it fired back up. Anyone got any tips or advice please forward on or how to meter the new/old diaphragm and do I need ferrofluid or not ?.

This guy does a thorough job;-

Last edited:
Just got both old and new Diaphragm working , bit er juggling and one of the very fine wires on the new one had come lose so really my only question now is, do they 100% need ferrofluid ?

removing ferrofluid changges the characteristics of the tweeter but the diference is that big so u can try...

The ferrofluid helps to keep the coil cool when it's working hard and probably improves the magnetic flux too. So if the original had it then yes, best to stick to it.
I recently repaired two tweeters on a pair of Linn speakers that were given (!) to me. Like your original, it was just lousy connections to the fine coil wires. I used some of that silver-loaded paint you use for repairing heated rear windscreens to stop them corroding again.

Back