Java install problem

mike_07

Inactive User
Reaction score
i downloaded jave and it ran, then near the end when it says its applying the java patches i get a pop up saying

"error java (tm) update
failure setting files time/date stamp"

then i get another one saying

"error java (tm) update
java (tm) update fails to apply changes to your system"

then i get another pop up saying

"error 1722 there has been a problem with this windows installer package. A program ran as part of the set up did not finish as expected. contact your support personal or package vendor."

it then rolls back

ive tried clearing the temp folder

any ideas what to do?

thanks
mike

no i had not but, ive just tried following that and downloaded the other file ok and tried to install that and at the same point the same thing :confused: one thing i did notice though was there's nothing to do with java in the add/remove menu

i don't think there's any java on this pc at the moment, could it be it needs an earlier version then a update/upgrade?

im currently running windows xp pro with sp3

mike

start your internet explorer go into tools, internet options, settings in the general tab, view objects then you should see the java files delete the one that have not installed the will have an exclamation mark next to it.

hope this helps

I believe it might be because the "Windows Installer" is being blocked by the firewall...

I had something very similar a while back, and I got fed up when installing stuff the Windows Installer would popup wanting net access, so I blocked it permanently with ZA...

Sometime later I tried to install the new Java release and it kept failing, eventually I traced it back to me blocking the Windows Installer in ZoneAlarm. I unticked the block on it, and Java installed just fine after that...

ive tried turning of my firewall just in case and no difference,

themuttsnutts - i followed what you said but there's nothing! there for java (the same as add/remove programs folder, nothing for java)

i don't think there's any java on this pc, is that why its being so much of a pain?

mike

This might just be down to SP3 because all kinds of strange things are happening re it.

Also have you tried downlaoding java and just saving it. Then installing it off line?

there are two options, an installer that you download and run first - this simply installs Java from the internet. The second allows you to download the whole package and install it locally. If you havent tried that one yet, it would be worth giving it a go.

I would still try the firewall option. Make sure in the firewalls settings that it's not being blocked.

Another option is re-download the M$ installer from their website and install it again.

running out of ideas here - have you tried downloading the offline installer, disconnecting from the internet, disabling all your security software and then trying to install?

You can contact the java support team who are always very helpful, it might be a way of getting it sorted. Meanwhile I will look at other methods of getting to where you want to be.

Back