ITV HD Launch Date Confirmed

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
200px-ITVHighDef.png

ITV has confirmed its first ever high definition broadcast intended for public consumption will be its coverage of Portugal versus Turkey on the first day of Euro 2008.
Freesat viewers will be able to access the HD stream by pressing the red button while watching ITV1 during the broadcast from 7.30pm on Saturday. The service will not be available on Freeview, Sky, or Virgin Media digital cable. :Laugh:

Coverage of Euro 2008 matches on Monday and June 10, 11, 12 and 13 will also be available in HD, the broadcaster said today.

ITV will become the third public service broadcaster in the UK to publicly launch a HD service, following BBC HD and Channel 4 HD.

The HD broadcasts are intended to be exclusive to Freesat, the subscription-free satellite service jointly-backed by ITV, although some traditional free-to-air satellite receiver equipment will be able to display the broadcasts if specifically configured.

ITV said it will from now on inform the media and listings providers which broadcasts will be available in HD and "press the red button" alert messages are expected to be used on ITV1.

In a statement today ITV said the programmes "will be available in HD on Freesat only".

Last edited:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and us virgin customers have BBC HD :(

will this be on satallite do you thnk, on astra ???

people have been watching the ITVHD tests on certain receivers m8
but as for the full launch and access via the red button I really don't know what will happen now
as it is a freesat exclusive channel ...Im sure pinkhelmets or digidude will know or someone else :)

ive just shelled out for a hd receiver, just dont wana think i have bought an expensive freeview box. lol

looks like i got my humax freesat hd box just in time yipppeee.

Tempted to get a humax just for Euro 2008 (bbcHD & ITVHD) and then flog it afterwards.

You reckon I'll get most of my money back this way?

Crazy

the technomate 6000 series of receivers can be 'tricked' into receiving this channel, theres a guide in the technomate room

i think its a good thing that theyre keeping it from the subscription service providors, as it stops them from using it as a marketing tool, i truely hope other channels (Five maybe when its contract is up) follow ITVs lead. Sly has called ALL the shots since the birth of digital TV in the UK, its about time someone stood up to them

itv hd

hi all

i thought freesat meant free and not have to buy their box
well may be it was

FREESAT with T/C applies

i am pi**ed of cause i just got ip9000hd with 2 hd tuners and can not pick my local tv channel.

well of course you have to buy the box, and receiver will get FTA channels, which is basicly what frrrsat has, but dedicated freesat receivers also have the freesat EPG and MHEG interactivity

your receiver should just require tuning to get your regional BBC and ITV channels

have noticed in some areas with freesat , that it picks up the local bbc channel , but the regional itv channel it doesnt

i have the humax foxsat , it picks up the regional bbc channel ie bbc east (w) , but the itv it picks up is the itv (e) which covers essex and suffolk area , whereas i should get itv (w) which covers the northamptonshire and norwich areas, stil not complaining as hopefully once the service gets round the teethin problems it should b sorted

at least i can go into non freesat mode and watch my local region , so all is not lost lol

....it picks up the regional bbc channel ie bbc east (w) , but the itv it picks up is the itv (e) which covers essex and suffolk area , whereas i should get itv (w) which covers the northamptonshire and norwich areas.....
Dave there are some teething probs with postcodes, but dont forget you can put any postcode you want in setup, it dont have to be yours :). If you change to NR1 1LG or something similar it should correct your areas.

....i thought freesat meant free and not have to buy their box....
No you are confused. "Freesat" is not the same as "free satellite channels". It is a brand name used to offer tv services and benefits via satellite & internet.

Tempted to get a humax just for Euro 2008 (bbcHD & ITVHD) and then flog it afterwards.
You reckon I'll get most of my money back this way?
Crazy
On ebay the Freesat receivers have been selling for more than new prices, but thats maybe if you are prepared to post it abroad. People living in europe want reception of free channels, and HD too. The Humax is an ideal solution to go with europeans modern flat panel screens :).

my mrs is going to kill me!

reserved until tomorrow at comet £149.99

Crazy

ps if anyone is interested in a hardly used Humax Foxsat HD Satellite receiver PM me on 30/06/08 and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited:
Lol, dont blame me :)
I was just saying they make their money back, i wasnt saying you should go get one asap.

Thing is that you are likely to get interest from a friend or family that want one if they see it working. Tiny good looking machine that is very simple to use, better than freeview and promises lots for the future. You can get the job of installing it Crazy and earn some money from your investment.

Lol, dont blame me :)
I was just saying they make their money back, i wasnt saying you should go get one asap.

Thing is that you are likely to get interest from a friend or family that want one if they see it working. Tiny good looking machine that is very simple to use, better than freeview and promises lots for the future. You can get the job of installing it Crazy and earn some money from your investment.

I won't blame you mate don't worry!

Already thinking it would be ideal for my mum as she has a dish attached to her house un-used and she is thinking of getting a new LCD HD Ready TV.

Ideally, long term, will go for a Linux based machine but until they become more financially viable and supported this will do.

All done and set-up.

How do I non-freesat it and try Luxe HD?

Still can't believe that 2 years ago I was watching the World Cup in HD on BBC-HD and ITV-HD (both trials at the time) via Telewest, doesn't seem like progress to me from the now Virgin Media?

Anyway, thats my rant over. The box looks really cool. Comet had a load of them in stock (Merry Hill) I wasn't asked to buy an install as I heard a lot of people are told they have too. They did try and sell me a HD lead (I guess he meant HDMI) I declined and upon opening the box it came with one anyway!

Roll on Euro 2008, I've got £10 on Portugal - C'mon!

Crazy

Found this for ITV-HD, apologies if posted elsewhere

ITVHD has not been officially launched yet, but its common knowledge that they have been running the channel for some days, and whilst it can be accessed on an PC with the correct decoder, its not been available to anyone with a Freesat HD Digital Box.

However, thats now changed thanks to someone stumbling across a remote code combination which brings the channel up in all its HD glory (or atleast when they are showing a HD prog, and not just upscaled SD).

To view, simply go to ITV (channel 103) and press on your remote the following:

RED
RED
GREEN
GREEN
BLUE

yes Crazy this was posted when the champions league final was on a few weeks back :)
but as soon as it was leaked ITV stopped it lol

ITV's Press Release

In addition to live coverage of the European Championships, ITV’s HD coverage over the summer will also include a range of top movies. :Hit:

Back