Italy part company with Donadoni

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Italy have parted company with coach Roberto Donadoni following their exit from Euro 2008.

BBC Sport was told of the decision by the Italian football federation (FIGC) after speculation grew around Donadoni's future after the Spain loss.

He signed a two-year contract extension before Euro 2008 - but it contained a 10-day get-out clause on both sides.

Italy lost their quarter-final 4-2 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes of play

Following Sunday's defeat, Donadoni was adamant he would not quit the role he took on in July 2006.

"Resign? The thought would never even entered my brain," said Donadoni.

"I don't have a reason. We only lost a game on penalties. You can't say things work when you win but don't work when you lose on penalties. We will talk and decide. It doesn't make any sense to talk about whether I deserve to carry on."

Meanwhile, Italian football federation president, Giancarlo Abete, gave no clues as to whether his coach would be retained.

"Over the next few days we will reflect and make a decision about this," he said.

"It doesn't make any sense to make a decision in the heat of the moment."

He added: "In the next few days we will discuss what will happen. We'll retrace our steps."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/italy/7471598.stm

Published: 2008/06/24 14:16:01 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

It's funny footy is, as he pointed out.

When you win a couple of games, or like scrape through, then lose to some team who are strong on penalties; it's not a reason to get sacked.

Wonder who'll be the next one in line?

Back