ISP PL cracking down on IPTV

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has it started, I read some court order was in place for ISP to stop IPTV.

How do they detect what is IPTV especially a sports channels showing PL football ?

Has it started, I read some court order was in place for ISP to stop IPTV.

How do they detect what is IPTV especially a sports channels showing PL football ?
I've read this in loads of places. How do they know it's iptv and not Netflix or some sort of legal feed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ive no idea how they find out but the supplier i use was hit by an ISP block several months ago, but they found a way around it pretty quickly and its been fine since.

Spy's in every camp ?, It's the telcos that block the streams, something probably showing a red flag ?, High data use at specific times ? , Probably easy when your looking and know what to look for I presume

It would be automated obviously, their system flags some streams, how they know is beyond me, but they do block suspicious activity

....then again some suppliers are greedy and keep advertising and have specific Facebook pages, tits

...one unhappy subscriber can open a can of worms

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly some sort of packet inspection to find MPEG transport stream but not sure how they know it would be legit or not. Are legit streams scrambled with something other than the Common Scrambling Algorithm?

There was talk of them putting identifiers in video streams so they could identify rebroadcasts on the internet, sounds simple - maybe it isn't, it's not like shutting down Napster

If its IP blocking on provider end, i would suspect an easy fix but things have to be implemented to stop it happening again. Surely Dynamic DNS would already be running if they had half a brain to stop mass people changing addresses.

The obvious - they have undercover people making test purchases to get server access ...

Then the court order makes them block the IP.

They will do this in advance so they can be blocked prior to a match, so unlikely any form of deep packet inspection - and with different encoding etc. packet inspection to identify individual streams would be impractical. They will take the easy option of just buying an account.

It would be interesting to know how they would actually stop the end user getting the streams tho. As a vpn at both ends would make it extremely difficult. In most cases the servers are located in lands they can't touch for copyright theft, like Morocco. The ISP can't even stop us downloading torrents from behind a VPN so what if anything are they going to do to block us end users?

I would suspect the block would be further up the layers. Would have to break down the protocol and then it becomes tricky to eliminate the legit traffic.

at a guess, doing something with the mpeg-ts layer but i could be wrong.

I guess they will stop all IPTV channels as to detect specific channel showing PL games in not practical

simple solution to all this - charge a sensible price for all channels say 10 pounds a month - then will will go legitimate. Why pay say 80 quid a month where as paying 100 quid a year on IPTV is cheaper.

I guess they will stop all IPTV channels as to detect specific channel showing PL games in not practical

simple solution to all this - charge a sensible price for all channels say 10 pounds a month - then will will go legitimate. Why pay say 80 quid a month where as paying 100 quid a year on IPTV is cheaper.

If there was something worth watching I would pay the 80 quid a month, but its nothing but trash on Sky/Virgin.
On my cable share I always watch the same things because there is nothing on worth watching and on my IPTV I mainly watch the USA content.

If cardshare/iptv did go down I would stick to freeview or a motorised sat.
No way would I pay full whack for what sky/virgin have to offer.

It would be interesting to know how they would actually stop the end user getting the streams tho. As a vpn at both ends would make it extremely difficult. In most cases the servers are located in lands they can't touch for copyright theft, like Morocco. The ISP can't even stop us downloading torrents from behind a VPN so what if anything are they going to do to block us end users?

The Servers might be overseas but the streams initiate from the UK so they just need to block those streams

and who owns the Sun

with 3.6m Sun readers reading an article like that, they know they'd scare so many away from kodi & so many to go & subscribe to sky

Ha ha, very true. And let's face it, how many Sun readers could work out an acronym as long as 'VPN'??

I think we are all getting fed up paying a fortune for lots channels we will never watch. Netflix etc are far better value and with amazon looking to include sports in its Prime provision cord cutting will happen here in the same way as it is in the US. The business model for sky and virgin has to change.

I think we are all getting fed up paying a fortune for lots channels we will never watch. Netflix etc are far better value and with amazon looking to include sports in its Prime provision cord cutting will happen here in the same way as it is in the US. The business model for sky and virgin has to change.

Well they've milked it for as long as they could- if the mugs keep paying they're not going to stop charging.

I remember years ago trying to sign up to Sky's minimum package and the sales girl trying everything to get me to take a higher tier package; I explained that I didn't spend much time at home to watch TV, her answer was 'Well that's why you need more channels, so there's a better chance of being able to watch something you like when you are in'. Aye right hen, nice try.....

Back