Is Wasabi the best just now?

BigPaul

Inactive User
Reaction score
I ordered a Wasabi chip about a month ago... I have had some bother getting it as the chaps I ordered it from have given all sorts of excuses the latest being that they recommend the d2pro9.

They are telling me that this is the best chip available and that it has taken Wasabis place in the market.

Is this true?

D2Pro is the best 9 wire solution at the moment, Argon is probably the best D2C mod.

I think that the 15 wire d2pro is better than the 9 as the more wires the better but the 9 wire mod is all the craze at the moment,as for that Wasabi id personally run a mile and stick with d2pro.

wtf? I have used wasabis since they have come out, excellent chip, easy install, like they say, everyone likes diff chips, I would like to know whats so wrong with the wasabi, plays everything?? Seems to me, some bias comments, oh well, look forward to some replies, I get my wasabi's from hong kong, ordered loads on monday, turned up yesterday, cheaper to do that as well :) To be honest, stick to what you know best, I just want to hear why the wasabi is so bad, I bet half aint even installed one and gone by what someone else has said, never mind :)

Made me smile, one english seller was advertising the d2pro because he was out of stock of wasabi's, as soon as he had them in then his advert changed back to wasabi's now back in stock, make what you want of that, they all do a similar job, update from media :)

Oh and to end this I just found this on another forum where similar questions were asked, now watch the d2pro fanboys hammer me lol

My choice would be the Wasabi because:

1. It's easier to build into the Wii (lesser wires which also means better airflow).
2. You can update through DVD (for D2Pro you have to buy an extra programmer which makes it a lot more expensive for the same performance). For the end-user DVD upgrade is more then enough. Argon is bashing Wasabi for not having a JTAG program function so you can't program that chip with firmware for different consoles. This is really only useful for resellers because once a chip is build into a console it stays there. Personal DVD upgrade is also easier for me since my Wii isn't nearby the computer which means I also have to get a very long USB cable to connect a D2Pro or Argon to my computer.
3. I have read that the Wasabi works differently then the other D2C modchips. When you put a backup in the Wii it boots directly while an Argon or D2Pro first has to "hack" the DVD drive code and after that the backup boots (meaning the drive will spin up twice while with the Wasabi it spins up once just like with an original game).
4. What Wasabi has managed with their chip seems to be top notch because Argon is going to use the same firmware as Wasabi and I'm sure D2Pro will follow also. So they have done something to shake up the modding scene for the Wii otherwise other teams would't want to use their firmware.
5. The Wasabi team isn't afraid to communicate with their customers through email while with D2Pro/D2CKey/WiiKey it's like that team doesn't exist.

Should I go on?

I wanted to go with the D2Pro as well but then I read about the Wasabi and in my opinion it looks to be the winner of the D2C chips (although Argon claims they can do the same now as Wasabi but they just ripped what Wasabi has thought off in the first place).

Not sure if everything he says there is true, Ithought you could update the d2pro from media? Oh well, just passing on some comments

Last edited:
Wasabi had the best chip when 9 wire installs came out.

D2Pro have the most stable 9 wire mod out to date.

Wasabi - released a statement about 10 months before Wasabi was released claiming 7 wire D2C install.

DVD Upgrades can only patch the code, not rewrite it like Argon.

All of that IMO discredits Wasabi.

Argin, yes Infectus ripped off Wasabi's code....but again it shows they can program the chips to do anything.....

by the way, if you care to add an extra wire, you can flash the wasabi as well as just patch :) Like I said everyone has their favourite chip, wasnt you as such that I was moaning about, it was the other guys ' i would run a mile' comment which seemed a bit strange. has he had a bad experience, if so please explain, I have not installed a d2pro yet so I would never say anything about it, just seems some peeps are like sheep and say stuff about other things without actually either trying them or having that much to say whats wrong with them. Your points are valid, apart from your 'all of that' bit, all of what exactly? They released a statement and it didnt happen, dont s0ny on their ps3, and M$? Upgrades? It can be flashed if using 10 wire, so not much there, most stable mod out to date? Where did that come from apart from installers saying they aint had any probs. Hmmm, not really much of a valid 'all of that' Anyway, I shall let it go now as this will just go on and on and others who prefer one or the other will join in and this will never end :) Like I said, each to their own, but you dont need to run a mile from a wasabi, only an alien :p

With D2C 1.5 - Wasabi had big problems with syncing with the Wii drive, fixed by a longer clock wire.

To be honest, Ive not read up on if they ever fixed this with an update, nor have I read about a 10 wire flash instead of patch because D2Pro came out with a stable 9 wire in the mean time.

Its the original Wasabi 7 Wire install fake claim that put me off the team to be honest.

Back