Is This Ok To Buy

Chaos_Boy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, i just want to know if i buy a SB4200 modem from abroad, i am thinking of getting one from USA so can i cone it. I heard that u have to put in a firmware that is from U.K is this correct and if so is this easy to get a hold of and can someone tell me where to get it from.
Thank You.

ya it should be fine m8 uhm the firmware do u mean sigma-x like? i can get u it i dunno where i got it i cant rember off my head like but have some firmwares for em :)

I'm not sure but i heard u hve to update something on the modem not sure wot, so then the modem will be able to work in U.K or is this not the case. So all i need to do is follow the SB4200 guide on changing the MAC on this modem n the modem will work.
Thank You.

And also i have heard u can force a config name on a surfboard, so then it will give u speeds of 10 MB. Have u got any idea or do u know how to do this.
Thank You.

a modem from the USA will be Docsis. half of NTLs network is Eurodocsis so a USA modem wouldn't work. Or are u in Tellywest

can u tell me how to get the 10MB conf from ntl.
Thank You.

The 4100 and 4200 are quite easy to do so long as the firmware's not locked, then you need a RS232 interface. They don't work on C&W, but are great on pure NTL.

The files and firmware are floating round various forums, if you're stuck drop me a PM and I'll guide you to them.

lincsat said:
The 4100 and 4200 are quite easy to do so long as the firmware's not locked, then you need a RS232 interface. They don't work on C&W, but are great on pure NTL.

The files and firmware are floating round various forums, if you're stuck drop me a PM and I'll guide you to them.

I have been advised in another thread on this site that the sb4200E will work on ex C&W?

I hope this is true as I have just bloomin bought a sb4200E on this info..........

The 4200E apparantly should work on C&W, however, you won't have bought one from the USA, which is what the thread was about!

Yes if it's got an'e' at the end it will work on excw.
Just check for sure http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ntl_region.php.
If your not excw it will still work.
I'm on the hunt for anything with an e at the moment.
I had quite a few tuts on doing a euro docsis.
If you have or are gonna get a blackcat.
Use the latest sigma-x1.6??
and the blackcat bootloader.
There is also a bios that you need.
I've only been told this by someone in excw.
there are also a few telnet commands you may need.
I should have something with an e on the end sooner or later,so you can let me know how you did it or i'll let you know.
Goodluck

Attitude Problem!

lincsat said:
The 4200E apparantly should work on C&W, however, you won't have bought one from the USA, which is what the thread was about!

Well then maybe you should be a little more specific then with your answers instead of just saying the 4100's 4200's don't work. Maybe if youd of put the 4100's 4200's form America won't work in the EuroDocSis area........

@ name750

Thanks for being helpfull and goodluck on your hunt : santahat

Wanyib said:
Well then maybe you should be a little more specific then with your answers instead of just saying the 4100's 4200's don't work. Maybe if youd of put the 4100's 4200's form America won't work in the EuroDocSis area........

@ name750

Thanks for being helpfull and goodluck on your hunt : santahat

Chill dude, no need to get an attitude - check the first post in the thread, he's asking about SB's from the USA!

Why's my name being mentioned????

Haven't got time to read it all?
well i can't say from experience yet,but the 4***e you got will work in a euro docsis area which is excw.
This was learnt from long and painfull suffering with my 3 sb5100 bloody i's.

And just to make it even more confusing.
Some of the sb4100 (no i or e on the end) are duel docsis.
That;s what i've seen on descriptions on the net.
I've also seen sb*****e's for sale from the usa as well and folks asking how to convert them in post from US on tcniso??
If it don't work I'll but it off you,so long as you got some lights flashing?
Unless you paid silly money for it!!
Laters.................

@ lincsat

I ain't the one who needs to chill buddy, your the one flipping over the thread being about sb's from USA....: shocked2

All I said was you should be a little more specific when answering as a lot of n00b's will be reading this and what you said may well throw people off, that's all. After all the thread isn't labeled as being just about modems from the USA. It is about 'Is this ok to buy?'

@ name750

I mentioned your name because I was thanking you for the useful information you supplied in post # 13

:Cheers:

ANyways lets leave it at that for now, if I wanted a :flame: fest I would of gone elsewhere for one. Let's just be merry and get into the Christmas 24hr drinking spirit.....lol:xmas:

So doesnt anyone used sbrider to boot firmware onto modems ?.....i learnt to clone mine before a discovered this place, it has hackware firmware on it and has never gone down, i dont understand why people ask if modems need to be chipped, once you have used you nic card to spoof the modem and get the files needed you are all go.

Last edited:
Back