Is there a FAQ for sattelite noobs on how to get started?

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gents

The lure of the European Championship on HD has got the better of me. I really want to get set up in time for the opening game. The thing is being the tight bastard that I am I want to do the the el cheapo way so I will need some guidance.

At my old house I have a satellite dish which I used for Sky back in the 90's. Can I rip that dish down and use it in my new house? Will I need to buy any new equipment line LNB (whatever that is LOL)

I'll obviously need a HD receiver so for now the cheaper the better. I don't mind buying second hand, in fact I prefer it as I will probably want to upgrade if I like satellite reception. The new Freesat boxes look like good value but I don't want to spend £150 on something that doesn't have a PVR. Can I get a cheaper Technomate that will do the same thing?

I also don't want to pay any monthly subs to anyone so id Freesat my only choice?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Technomate HD receivers will set you back nearly double the Humax cost, same as a non-subsidised sky box would too. Second hand would still fetch £200-ish.
If you really want cheapest of cheap HD then you could get a Pace ds810 for about £100 or a Fortec Passion HD for a liitle more ~£120, and you may see 2nd hand versions of these.

The freesat Humax is good value imho.

Since there is not much in it with a price difference I'm going to try and just grab a Humax box for the tournament.

Thanks for the info.

Munkey, i forgot to mention the Bush HD Freesat receiver £120 from Argos, or the Goodmans Freesat at £120 from dixons.
I think once you have a sat dish set up and a HD receiver giving you loads of channel choice i'm sure you'll end up keeping it :). Even if you upgrade to a pvr at a later date its better to use the cheap freesat in a second room maybe, rather than having freeview.

Back