Is the internet in widescreen?

kurgan

Member ++
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a widescreen monitor. I use XP and everything is in the correct aspect ratio on my 4:3 monitor, including all my software. What I want to know is, will everything be squashed up on a 16:9 monitor? I can't see how it will maintain the correct aspect ratio with photos etc. Excuse my ignorance, but I never use smart mode on my TV as I like everything to look as it should!

it a 32mb Nvidia Riva TNT2 model 64, the settings all seem to be 4:3 modes up to 1280 x 1024 (32 bit). I take it I will need a later driver, or maybe a new card?

Last edited:
That's the video card I've got! I think you'll need to get a new one as that is about 7 years old. You could probably get one that would work for about $50.

no get a wide screen mate you wont regret it ive just upgraged and got a wide screen 22" and its great everything is going widescreen now dont waste your money

faz

Most web designers know that these days people have huge 19" monitors, but some people still view in 1024x768, so they utilise the space they have with bigger monitors, but also make sure those with smaller screens can see it alright.

This therefore means that sites will usually stop some point horizontally, as people dont like scrolling horizontally. So getting a widescreen shouldnt matter at all with the internet.

Thanks again. I am going to try my next door neighbours widescreen to see whats happens, as the seller states that when XP sees the plug and play monitor the new 16:9 setting will 'appear' in my display settings. Not sure about this, but I will see what happens and post results I get with my 32mb Graphics card.

Windows detects what settings you monitor can handle and adds them onto the slider to change it

I think XP may detect a combination of what both the monitor AND graphics card can handle! Unfortunately my graphics card does not seem compatible, as everything did indeed looked squashed up when I tried out the widescreen monitor. There were no widesceen options to choose from on the slider which would explain the squashed image. Looks like a new graphics card is required after all, unless there is another trick? It seems a shame as I am sure the graphics card could handle a widescreen resolution, if only there were one to select from the slider.

Last edited:
Right, got me an ATI radeon 9200 (128mb). I can now get widescreen mode 1440 x 900 on my friends 19", but the native resolution of the monitor I'm getting is 1680 x 1050. Anyone know if this card is capable? Thanks again in advance.

yes that will work windows detects what resolutions the monitor can run at and give you those options to choose from and you new grafics card will definatly support that

the Belinea is a very good monitor by all accounts read some good things about them some say the image quality is as good as digital even though its analoge.

faz

Back