Is the end nigh?

S

Smiler2005

I don't know if this has been asked before but in light of recent events, i.e. boxes requiring reflashed etc, my question is:

Is the Dbox2 versatile enough to overcome any of the cable companies attempts to prevent us receiving all channels?

Or maybe to put it simpler, will there always be a way around any such attempts (for the forseeable future).

Rgds

there will always be a way round stuff no answer to vod but there are some clever dudes around mine's a stella plzzz!:Cheers:

KALLYCHILLED said:
there will always be a way round stuff no answer to vod but there are some clever dudes around mine's a stella plzzz!:Cheers:

lol the only thing is as long as every channel dont go vod then yes or we are all stuffed m8

dont panic no way will that happen as thats what gets the customers in for the cc

the tv packages family pack, movies pack, sports pack, ect ect

cheers

KALLYCHILLED said:

Thats just blind faith. There are plenty of things that could be done by the cc's to take out the majority of cards in minutes. Follow that with a concerted bombardment of Mosc's etc and they could make life fairly uncomfortable for non-subscribers.

Don't believe that Nagra is fully cracked. The Modulus Co-pro routines have not yet been publically dumped and there is an awful lot that can be done with them. Just look at the recent keychange EMM which uses a previously unknown Co-pro function !

yeah but when dealing with software instead of CARDS (Dbox software:) samsung cards :(i reckon a little adaptation from those with the brains, should just about be enough to overcome anything they throw at us. Software boxes can be reflashed with a total new bundle of tricks. But a card box is fooked in my eyes....Im glad i didnt take the numpty option of getting a box with a card.

A dbox isnt like any other receiver that uses a card. As its software based, we can just reprogram the camd and we're up and running again. With a card based system, you have to wait for a hex to be released....

Its alot easier to get a dbox up and running and any card based system. There are loads of linux experts out there and the sourcecode for the tuxbox project is freely available; if the cable companies took down our dboxs now then I'm pretty sure that we could have them back up and running within a week.

Liam.

it all comes down to money.. how much the cc are willing to spend to get illigal viewers of the air .. if they where to change the encryption that could mean that it wouldnt work till some one would crack it (which can take a very long time :0. but this would cost a lot of money (i guess all boxs would need to be replaced) other wise they would have updated it allready. so i am sure for the next few years if cc dont go broke the dbox will work ..

being a newbie and not 100% conversant - Cant a similar encryption algorythm similar to SKY's Satellite version be applied to cable signal.
Thus stopping everyone in their tracks.......

i would think thats why the original boxs now are the limiting factor .. they probably have some hardware build in encryption that is not changable .. so the box would need to be changed .. i guess .. other wise they would have done it

cooltool said:
i would think thats why the original boxs now are the limiting factor .. they probably have some hardware build in encryption that is not changable .. so the box would need to be changed .. i guess .. other wise they would have done it

You are spot on with your thinking. Even if the boxes can handle new types of encryption, then they would still have to replace their cards. And that would be expensive.

Thankfully, if they decide to switch over to Nagra2, then we should all still be able to watch TV on our dboxs... as there are a few clever guys around the world that have now cracked this system ;)

Likelyhood is tho, if NTL/Telewest change their encryption, they WONT use one thats already existing - they would probably develop their own, just like SKY.

But then again it all falls back to the money factor - something that neither cable company has.

The cc's currently cannot afford a change to nagra2 but there are rumors the cc's are already disputing with kudelski about such a exchange.

liamcrayden said:
You are spot on with your thinking. Even if the boxes can handle new types of encryption, then they would still have to replace their cards. And that would be expensive.
Thankfully, if they decide to switch over to Nagra2, then we should all still be able to watch TV on our dboxs... as there are a few clever guys around the world that have now cracked this system ;)
Likelyhood is tho, if NTL/Telewest change their encryption, they WONT use one thats already existing - they would probably develop their own, just like SKY.
But then again it all falls back to the money factor - something that neither cable company has.
yeah i think so too, the money factor and investors will play a big role .. i would think any new system will have to be backwards compatable to keep the old boxes online .. same with analog they are (!)still being used for what ever reason. I rember some rumors when they cracked the OnDigital system that some one big (caugh murdock) invested in hacking the system ... but that might just be bs...

Back