Is power limit throttling normal on laptops?

byson1984

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello I’ve purchased an FX504 Asus Laptop with 8750H CPU with GTX 1060 graphics. Just want some advice from computer experts. Cheers

About 7 minutes in this guy describes the 45w power being throttled down to 25w due to insufficient cooling.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is why I have suspicions about the decision at work to buy laptops instead of workstations for us.

I can keep old desktop for development use but laptop? I can tell it is more sluggish than an inferior desktop and the fan is nearly sucking the table through it.

All laptops have fairly complex thermal management and will throttle down, once limits are hit. In an ideal world, balanced use should mean that you'd not really notice - but if the workloads are intensive - on the CPU or GPU, the internal temp rises and to aid the fans, the CPUs will step down. Saying that, this is more prevalent on battery use than if plugged in. this is the problem with many small form factor PCs and laptops - although processors are lower power than they used to be - the GPUs on these rigs are still very energy inefficient..... result being heat and the impact being system throttling.

Back