is it time to switch off ?

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have always kept the computer on 24/7 but have recently had to replace the CPU

but the price of electric is set to rise here by 14% would i save much by switching everything off now at night ?

the reasion I left it on was it takes about 5 minutes to boot on

Guys

Whats to stop you from putting the computer into hibernation. it uses about a quarter of a unit every 2 hours.

Hibernation is complete resource hog, and often causes more problems than it's worth. (Been my experience anyway, especially in XP)

If you want to know how much power your machine uses you can get a power usage meter. I think Maplins has them for around 10quid. My machine (lots of disk + overclock) draws around 300w normally but drops to around 15w on vista 'power down' (basically an advanced version of hibernation). It takes around 2 to 3 minutes to boot from scratch but around 10 seconds in power save.

Hibernation is complete resource hog, and often causes more problems than it's worth. (Been my experience anyway, especially in XP)

Yip Mine also, I ALWAYS disable Hibernation!

Allroad, I leave mine on all the time. You will get more failures turning it on and off due to thermal expansion and contraction.

Back