Is it the end of the road for dreambox/dbox etc ?

stellarocksme

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi people, just wondering how much longer these things are going to work for as i have people asking me to get them one, but i've noticed over the last few months channels are being removed daily and new scans need to be done every other day. So are the movie channels going cause theres alot of changes happening : shocked2

Thanks all : big crow

Craig

been hearing this since i started.

anyway i thought we only did this for experimental purposes to expand our knowledge ;)

Hi ellie thanks for the info mate why so many changes happening ? E.G Channels re-named (SMActinHid) oh i know ther on two streams one pin protected and one streaming but no EPG on the streaming ones.

n~t and t-w have merged to vm, sly have changed the channel names not vm

I would expect more hassle until all of the ex suppliers (n~l, t-w, ex c&w) are being syncronised with each over so they all show the same stuff.

Hi people, just wondering how much longer these things are going to work for as i have people asking me to get them one, but i've noticed over the last few months channels are being removed daily and new scans need to be done every other day. So are the movie channels going cause theres alot of changes happening : shocked2

Craig
In a word: No.

Of course not.

l would think most boxes or safe for a sometime yet , think the ex cable boxes r in for trouble , virgin r going to go for there stock first and start cutting unpaid feeds too .. l know thats wot ld do first

Craig

Why don't you phone VM and ask them to stop messing with the channels cos it's screwing up your dreambox. What channels are being removed daily? None of mine are going. Movies changed because sky renamed their movie channels. End of.

Hi ellie thanks for the info mate why so many changes happening ? E.G Channels re-named (SMActinHid) oh i know ther on two streams one pin protected and one streaming but no EPG on the streaming ones.

The pin protection was forced onto Sly by OFCOM - it's not a way to try and prevent dreambox's. I can't see them not working for the forseeable future, it'd need VM to completely overhaul their entire network and/or spend a hell of alot of money - something that they don't have.

It's the system they use thats flawed, they'd need to change that first.

There easiest way would be to go completly VOD

It wouldn't really work - how many people are really going to want to 'request' a channel they want? most people are channel flickers, they don't stick on one channels for extended periods, so by forcing people to request a channel everytime would annoy too many customers.

I thought VOD was limited in what it could do aswell? if hundreds of thousands of people are sending requests every few minutes, I would have thought that would cause abit of a problem with the network?

It wouldn't really work - how many people are really going to want to 'request' a channel they want? most people are channel flickers, they don't stick on one channels for extended periods, so by forcing people to request a channel everytime would annoy too many customers.

I thought VOD was limited in what it could do aswell? if hundreds of thousands of people are sending requests every few minutes, I would have thought that would cause abit of a problem with the network?

I agree that For everything to be VOP that the network would prob fail under the strain, not sure if channel changes confirmed by talk back would be possible though.

But in essence I don't think that the cable companies have ever cared, and I don't think that VM will either, what ever they do even disconnecting at the green box those homes that do not have a sub will cost money and there is no guarentee that those people will convert to a paying customer, they may even go over to Sky and I think that VM would rather have non-paying customers rather than sky having paying ones.

Its all very political at the moment and I cannot imagine too much happening to affect those of use testing for educational reasons overseas STBs.b

Back