Is it possible to prove you have not received an email?

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
I don’t want to go into detail but I have reported a firm of solicitors to the regulator for shockingly poor service amongst other things, this firm has gave the regulator an email from another firm of solicitors with a breakdown of their costs (very very high) which I was obliged to pay, they sent me a completion statement (could have been for anything) with the total but not this email.

They have told the regulator that they sent me the email (the lying bas****s), I don’t think there is a way of proving this, anyone know any different? or cvan offer any advice.

Not sure but can they prove that they did? sent emails don't get deleted unless they delete it

The onus is on the other party to demonstrate an email communication was sent. However, any IT expert worth their money can manipulate an electronic file to look like its been sent to a non-expert.

Maybe you could ask your email service provider to forward the communication logs for the date it was supposed to have been sent. This would demonstrate if a communication occured.

As it's the regulator they have just forwarded the email to them saying they sent it to me, I'm bust formulating my response which includes

"I categorically refute ever seeing or receiving this email, I would gladly give permission for the regulator to search my computer and/or my email provider’s servers in pursuit of proving this."

Probably wasting my time, shocking for solicitors to lie like this.

The onus is on the other party to demonstrate an email communication was sent. However, any IT expert worth their money can manipulate an electronic file to look like its been sent to a non-expert.

Maybe you could ask your email service provider to forward the communication logs for the date it was supposed to have been sent. This would demonstrate if a communication occured.

@Oggiman did'nt see your post before posting mine above, Thanks mate I'll include some of that in my response.

Agree with Oggiman, email service administrators can check the logs, but this would be a nightmare, depending on the service scale, so probably they will refuse or give you any excuse to avoid the check, unless it's a private service.

Well they are still saying it, and I've refused the compensation offer the regulator suggested simply because of them lying. my email is from years ago and is an ntlworld one (pre virgin), would that make it easier to check the logs? I would love to prove they are misleading the ombudsman.

Unfortunately no, as it's a shared service, they have thousands of customers, so the logs can reach the moon and way back, but you have nothing to lose, so send an email to virgin email support, requesting the logs for your email, they must not send you nothing apart of that, due to privacy, and try to be as much precise as possible, date and hour, also minute if possible. To reduce the load.
If they claim you because they affirm they have sent you and email, ask them for these details, if they are so sure, they must have a register on their side. Otherwise they have no evidences to claim you nothing, so per presumption of innocense , you are out of this.

At least a registered letter can be physically traced.

Sorry to say this but going up against a team of solicitors usually only ends one way. I too would never agree when I believe I'm in the right but just be careful you don't actually end up losing more of your compo.
Really surprised that solicitors rely solely on emails though and don't back them up with a formal breakdown of their costs in the form of a letter.

I believe you may ask for the correspondence pack from them to prove the invoice they raised is reasonable. It should contain all the email exchanged relating to your case. Otherwise you cannot go anywhere just by looking on the face of their claims.

Back