Is it my graphics card or is it my TV

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a bit of a newb question.

I have a bucket load of mkv's on my PC which I want to watch in HD obviously the only problem is when I play them the quality, to me, is nothing special. I can see the pixel lines where say a dark black becomes slightly lighter etc

What I want to know is is it my TV or is it my graphics card. It's only a pretty standard 256mb with DVI output runnning through a DVI-HDMI converter.

It's a Geforce 6200 LE (256) Pci-e to be exact. It is is this what is a good card to watch these mkv's in top quality without breaking the bank, I don't game at all so it really is just for these.

Cheers

It could be down to ure cpu and ram.

www.matroska.org said:
We knew from the start that Matroska would require more CPU time to read/write than AVI because it has a more complex design.

not all mkv's are HD lol

your system SHOULD be able to play 720 but may struggle with 1080 - basically you either need a fastish cpu - which a 2.8 478 isnt - or a graphics card with hardware support for x264 - which yours doesnt have - however even so you should be able to play most 720 mkv content at an acceptable quality

if you are serious about wanting to get smooth HD then try one of these
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=152067 and a 4850e chip for it - cost is around £120 inc next day delivery and have to say it was a considerable step up from my previous setup - a fatal1ty 190hd

not all mkv's are HD lol

your system SHOULD be able to play 720 but may struggle with 1080 - basically you either need a fastish cpu - which a 2.8 478 isnt - or a graphics card with hardware support for x264 - which yours doesnt have - however even so you should be able to play most 720 mkv content at an acceptable quality

if you are serious about wanting to get smooth HD then try one of these
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=152067 and a 4850e chip for it - cost is around £120 inc next day delivery and have to say it was a considerable step up from my previous setup - a fatal1ty 190hd

I think it's a 775 not a 478 but I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong.

I've a 775 ASUS P5PL2-E Motherboard and its a Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz, 800 FSB chip.

I had a DVI-HDMI cable and it caused no end of issues, especially in games and movies. Try a regular VGA cable if you can, did the trick for me!

Back