IPTV stream through a mac address -- help needed

Could I suggest you consult your notes? Cisco routers have a base MAC, a unique MAC for each physical interface and another for each virtual interface. There may be additional MAC addresses depending on installed hardware (i.e. switch module) etc. In 'enable' mode type 'show int(erfaces)' to view them.

P.S. I was working with Cisco kit when it was a start-up company ;)

Lol, we're not talking Cisco kit here though are we. Whilst the various line cards that can be added will indeed have MAC addresses, as will the devices connected which you can see via showing the MAC address table.

In the past implicit tagging required each port to have a MAC address. With 802.1Q, that is no longer necessary.

Transparent bridging does not alter the frame. Layer 2 switches do not need the base Ethernet MAC address of the device nor its switchport MAC addresses to operate. The source and destination MAC addresses of the incoming frame are examined, the first one being saved in the MAC address table along with the receiving port, while the destination MAC address being looked up in the MAC address table to see if there is an associated port. If there is the frame is forwarded out that port only, otherwise it gets broadcast out all ports, except the source port (split horizon rule).

During the whole process the frame remains completely unchanged (unless forwarded towards a VLAN trunk - then the frame gets tagged with VLAN ID).

Let's call it a draw :)

Okay, I don't have time to plug in a load of routers to find out which do what! :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx# sh int
Ethernet1/1 is up
Dedicated Interface

Hardware: 1000/10000 Ethernet, address: 547f.eecd.9208 (bia 547f.eecd.9208)
Description: ### xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ###
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit,, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec
reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast

I think what i've highlighted in red you're referring to? That's off a nexus 5k.

So whilst you're correct in saying each interface has a MAC, it's not actually used or required anymore due to 802.1Q

TBF, I've never had to use that address so ignored it completely. Only ever needed to use the mac address table. Dont even think I was ever taught it in the CCNA either, and certainly not in the DC stuff.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx# sh mac address-table interface eth1/1
Legend:
* - primary entry, G - Gateway MAC, (R) - Routed MAC, O - Overlay MAC
age - seconds since last seen,+ - primary entry using vPC Peer-Link
VLAN MAC Address Type age Secure NTFY Ports/SWID.SSID.LID
---------+-----------------+--------+---------+------+----+------------------
* xxxx 0050.5684.075b dynamic 10 F F Eth1/1
* xxxx 0cc4.7a05.970c dynamic 0 F F Eth1/1

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Using the above link you can then see who manufactures the device.

I'm not into subscribed IPTV but how do they use a MAC address for authentication?

It must be something that runs on your local PC as the MAC from your PC and modem get changed when packets get routed in the network.
On magbox boxes who ever owns the magbox is issued DNS details to enter in portal of the box. Once that is entered in, the mac address is sent to provider.
With smartIP*V app its slightly different, its the domain thats entered to there website. The app costs £5 after trial. SmartIP*V “do not” host streams, its just an app that delivers streams from a provider after uploading domain details and mac address.
Not a big fan of both setups to be honest.

if its just to watch a football match why dont you juststick with ur sub and install kodi. every match good streams live f1 the lot. rising tides and deceit add ons

now i know i didnt answer what u ask

Last edited:
Back