iPhone Iphone 6s screen replacement fingerprint not working

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I replaced the screen on my daughters 6s and all was fine. I moved over the original home button onto the new screen and got the fingerprint working fine. The new screen then developed a dark shadow so I sent it back and got a new screen from a different person. I moved the home button over again the the 2nd new screen but I cant get the fingerprint work it just says failed and the option is greyed out.

I even put the home button that came with the 2nd screen in but no luck. Will it be the screen or will the 2nd screen need to have the home button that came with it in it ?. I'm lost here, how can I get it to work ?

has to be your original home button that you use. Seems it's a connection issue or software lock up. Software glitches can sometimes remedy by connecting to iTunes

Yeah it is the original home button, it worked in the first replacement screen but I had to send it back because of the shadow on the screen. I'll get hert to connect it up later and try resitting the button other than that she'll have to do without.

I reminded her that in my day telephone boxes . . . . ..................................... then I heard the door close

I had the same problem on a 6 I did, the little connection block which should click into place can become damaged easily - have you checked its actually connected firmly? If I was you I would just blame Apple ;)

from my own experience if a option is grayed out or not available on android after changing hardware it is nearly always that the hardware isnt connected.

check to make sure all the connections are properly seated and that all the ribbon cables are fully inserted and test before reassembling.

reboot if it doesn't recognize the hardware as with android it only tests if the hardware is there on boot. so if you connect afterwards it wont recognize the hardware.

Have a look here mate might help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My daughter keeps smashing her screen and its costing me £40 a pop.

I cant be bothered with all that changing myself, I did once fix an iPad screen a few years back and to be honest I was well chuffed!!!

Mick

I sent it back got another and used the original home button and it worked.

Last edited:
Shes broke the screen once more so I replaced it and the home button and cable for the Touch ID but the friggin thing isn't working again everythings working bar the touch ID. I swapped over the home button and cable for the touch ID fingerprint from her phone but when I go into the settings "Touch ID & Passcode" and enter her passcode digits
IPohne Unlock
Apple Pay
ITunes & App Store
are all switched off. If I try to turn any on I just get the:- "FAILED Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again".

Is this software or hardware ?

I've just swapped the home button and cable back over to the cracked screen and on boot I got no warning message pop up about the touch ID failing so I take it it's OK back on the old one. As soon as it's on the new screen on boot I get a Touch ID failed message on boot.

I swapped a screen on my phone two days ago with same issue but also microphone and cameras won’t work now. The Touch ID mysteriously started working today but other issues still a problem. I think a faulty screen can effect said parts. I’ve now ordered a new one with only the home button to change.

The screen I bought was with a camera and mic as I couldn't be bothered mauling but my daughter said she can hardly here anyone and they sound muffled. Plus she said on Facetime there all pink lines on the screen when the camera's on. I've tried 3 times with clips but no joy. The guy on eBay sold over a 1000 so I'm thinking it might be a faulty digitizer he's sent me.

My daughter keeps smashing her screen and its costing me £40 a pop.

I cant be bothered with all that changing myself, I did once fix an iPad screen a few years back and to be honest I was well chuffed!!!

Mick

Im the same, got insurance with protect your bubble. £50 excess and I get a brand new phone, not even a brand new screen :)

I was refunded by the seller so I bought elsewere from a guy who's sold 1000's. I installed the new screen this morning and low and behold, the Touch ID is still not working. This time though unlike the 1st screen the fingerprint section is not greyed out. As soon as you press on it though up pops the Failed message.
I've installed it back onto the knackered badly cracked screen but I cant try it proper because the bottom half of the screen doesnt work. I'm gonig to downgrade the IOS see if that helps as we upgraded it to the latest plus factory reset it.

I thought I'll downgrade it see if it's the FW 11.3. I downloaded 10.3.2 just fails, can you not downgrade 11.3 ?

Back