iPhone iphone 3g washed!!

premprop51

DW F1 champion 2011
VIP Member
Reaction score
just my iphone 3g through washing machine (nice and clean)....i swaped battery and chip thingy inside into another iphone but doesnt seem to turn on just shows the apple sign any ideas what could be wrong???

cheers.

It isn't waterproof thats your problem :)

You need to dry it out m8, did you turn it on as soon as it came out the machine? if so you might have broke it properly.

Dry it out and then try it via itunes

Stick it in a container and but iphone in centre and cover it with rice.

Then leave for 24 hours and next day get a fan and blow it over iphone for a few hours.

Hopefuly with a little luck you might have your iPhone working!

i have now managed to turn it on, but all im getting is the usb logo pointing at itunes but when connected to computer it is not being recognised..(i have tryed holding down home button while connecting but still nothing)....any ideas??

cheers.

have you tried on another usb port,,another pc,,,another usb cable,,jailbreak program ?

i have now managed to turn it on, but all im getting is the usb logo pointing at itunes but when connected to computer it is not being recognised..(i have tryed holding down home button while connecting but still nothing)....any ideas??

cheers.

it will still be very damp inside you should of took it to a local phone shop there can wash it using a phone cleaning wash and might be able to save it if you dont get it cleaned it will all go white inside and solder joints will all be no good after time water and phones dont mix

thanks,...i had it lying out in the sun for couple of days it seems pretty dry now,it takes funny turns sometimes it goes on but only for emergency calls other times it just shows the apple sign or battery charging when its shown battery charging it doesnt seem to charge just stays on a small red bar and cannot get it connected to itunes.

cheers.

Last edited:
U will have to sell as spares on eBay , there paying 250 for phones they think r locked ie locked on iTunes screen , people think they know how to repair that fault easy , but not in your case

I had areal D'oh moment when mine fell out of my back pocket down the toilet :S I stuck it in the oven on a very low heat, then into rice for a couple of days, worked fine after that :)

thanks, probably should have done that at the start but just left it in the sun for 2-3 days hoping that would work but its been a week now.....game over a think.

cheers.

Leaving it in the sun probably wont really dry it. You just tend to cycle between very moist air and liquid as the phone heats/cools.

You really need to disassemble it and warm the pcb up to a fairly substantial temperature for an hour or so - somewhere close to 100degC to evaporate all traces of moisture. Obviously any plastic bits wont survive this treatment so you need to clean/dry those seperately. The LCD and contact strips also need to be removed before baking - you basically just heat the bare PCB.

Alternatively you could try to flush the pcb in Isopropyl alcohol to expel the water and then bake the pcb at about 40degC.

Whatever you do, you need to do it quite quickly. The pcb traces are extremely fine and tend to corrode exceedingly quickly. They are protected somewhat by a solder resist coating but they still corrode very quicly. Solder itself can also be affected by water generating a white partly conductive oxide.

oh, btw, if you ever heat pcb's etc in an oven then build the heat slowly over the period of an hour and then leave them to cool gradually inside the oven. Dont take them out or try any form of rapid cooling as it will often cause thermal stresses and crack small solder contacts. Rapid cooling also attracts condensation - which is what your trying to get rid of !

Last edited:
only an idea .. but car aircon is the best thing to suck damp out of anything // if u put by the air vent to screen and run aircon it well suck damp out .

Back