Ipad 4 cracked screen!

astra99

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, bought the new ipad 4 at Christmas and one of the kids has dropped it and cracked the touch screen,so unfortunately is not covered under warranty! From what I've read apple will charge me about half the price what I paid for the ipad and still keep my warranty, but that would be another £300! No way would I pay that, I've had a few prices from people on the Internet ranging from £75 to £120 ,but dont want to hand over my ipad to just anyone and they end up breaking it completely, would rather have someone who is recommended, also looking on eBay I've found that I can buy the digitiser for about £35 and fix my self, so was, just wondering if anyone on here has fixed one before and if so is it as easy as it looks on the videos on YouTube to repair it? my screen is badly cracked so not sure if it would come off in one piece? Maybe I could put tape over it to keep it together? Any help/advice would be much appreciated, or if anyone can recommend someone to fix it, or the best place to buy the screen from
Thanks

If I remember, the ipad4 is glued together which is the first problem. However after that it looks fairly straightforward

the ipads and iphones lcd screen and digitizer are usually together [will need heating up hairdryer or heat gun ] it will be harder for you to just try replace the glass it might be more expensive to buy lcd screen and digitizer together but in my opinion the better option mate have a look here for some partsReplacement ipad 4 parts how to repair the ipad 4HERE

Thanks for your replies, yeah I knew the screen was glued on, just a bit worried that I could end up melting the ipad if I used a heat gun on it, but seen the iopener tool in one of you're links which looks like a good idea, I presume I could just use a wheat bag which I think is basically the same as that?

Do you have home insurance? Might be worth claiming on that if so?

Shame! Pity you couldn't get someone you know with accidental cover to claim for you and you box them off with the difference in premium if it should go up which won't be as much as your going to fork out for the part.
Not that I condone of such things :)

i done mine recently and it took me a while to remove all the broken glass,even though i covered it in tape first.if it has been dropped on the corner make sure you reshape the metal case before trying to install the new screen.other than that it`s pretty easy

Had a tablet repaired once and the guy wrapped it in towels and placed it on a radiator to soften the glue. maybe thats the way to go.

Back