ip address

if you don't have internet access you can go to dos promt and type:- ipconfig /all

I found out my ip address but i am through a router and trying to use remote desktop from home but cannot find the address to write in anyone out there can help

It depends on your setup. I couldn’t make out your exact situation so I'll cover both ways that I have tries briefly.

1. Access home desktop from work:

I had to enable VPN on my router to do this. Exact instructions depend on your router, but you should set it up so that you can only log into one pc over then net, and, if possible, only from a fixed range of ip addresses.

Frankly, I found this to be an absolute arse with my netgear router until I upgraded the FW.

2. Access to home desktop from remote computer in your home LAN:

Much easier than 1. disable windows firewall on the system you wish to connect to, but keep the hardware firewall (if you have one) on max security. then simply open a remote desktop connection from your pc to the remote one using the windows/linux sw provided. If you haven't got a HW firewall, then you may want to get a commercial package and follow the instructions given for it.

In both cases the user you wish to login to remotely must be password protected and be given the privileges required to access remotely by going into control panel -> system -> remote and messing about with the settings in there.

Right, I'm off for some brewskies. Ta Ta.

Back