Sensible Topic Invasion of the flying gnats !

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the past week we have been taken over in here by these tiny little whispy hovering midgeys gnat type flies, those that hover in front of your eyes then the moment you breath they turn into F1's and disappear. I got up this morning and so far I've nailed 9 in the kitchen alone.

I sprayed the rooms with fly spray but I'm beginning to think it's a steroid inhaler to them because they seem to go faster. We dont have plants in the house and there's no spuds or fruit rotting anywhere. We closed the windows doors last night and sprayed and within 10 minutes there was 3 again pishin me off while I was trying to watch the tele.
Were are they coming from and how the hell do you stop them ?

Lol, sorry i can't help your dilemma, but i've always found sprays are useless. I used to work on recycling lines which had many a fly. Quite often a wasp/ fly killer spray would pop up. I don't think it killed a single one. lol

How about one of them ultra violet lamp things?

Just done another 3 while I read your reply, I sprayed one which was having a fag on a picture and I kid you not, David Blaine couldn't have made it disappear quicker. This fookin fly spray is like cocaine to them

I wonder if they are the the same as the tiny flies I keep finding kamikazed in My beer.

That's them, I can't take a drink upstairs at night without fookin 10 of them following me like the Gnat Arrows

Can't remember if its for these type of things but I remember reading something about lavender getting rid of certain insects cos of the smell. This was the actual plants but maybe a spray with lavender may do the job.

Get a blow lamp and hair spray and they vanish in seconds with a good flame thrower which i use

Well over a week on and these fookers are here to stay. I've made a few homemade jobs ie.e vinegar apple washing up liquid and last night it caught about 20 in the bedroom !. We've cleaned the kitchen top to bottom emptied cupboards and bleach cleaned and got rid of any fruit. We now empty the bin and small food recycling bin daily and again bleach clean. I've bleached and disinfected all the drains and cleaned with a drain brush.
Then this morning i was close on a small invasion, there was about 40 in the kitchen now bare in mind no windows opened and I sprayed fly spray before I went up so I'm knackered to think were the fook their all comnig from. The vinegar trap is working but I would prefer to stop them breeding (if it's in the house) and be shut as we've never had this problem before.

Just wondering , do certain bedding plants attract them ?, we've only a handful in plastic bedding pots but their new. I'm waging war on these pesky little sons er bitches. If their coming in from outside there not leaving alive, slow death and torture

Blow lamp and hair spray is a flame thrower and instantly kills em

Yep , heard ya first time round :) I was wondering if there's anything else before I torch the house

Have you got an extractor fan in the Kitchen
i had a similar problem but in the Bathroom. they were getting in through the extractor fan. Turned out that there was a nest in the eaves and a dead young bird in the nest/ Got rid of the nest and the bird. filled the hole. No more bugs

ummmm got me thinking there shaun , I'll take a look down it tomorrow

Culprit found !!! , the f*ckin missus !!. She's a shoulder gym bag stuffed down the side of the wardrobe. She's not been the gym for the past few weeks and in the bag was a wet swimsuit and a banana and apple black rotton underneath it all festering and smothered in the f*ckin little blighters I'd say 300-500 of them.
Thing is, I told her up teen times to check bags as I'm forever finding uneaten fruit in my kids bags going work and colleague. Hopefully things will settel down now.

Oh and @lescantle ? I blow torched the bag m8 :)

Possibly, the gnats are the gusset so hard to tell if it were her bills or mine

Back