Internet issues

kallum67

Reaction score
Hi I am in the UK and my internet service provider is virgin media and I have 6-9 devices connected up to wireless and 2 devices connected up to wired connection and I have a shed at the bottom of my garden which is used for a home business and I want internet in there but it is poor connection with the router have and I don't know what would be the best solution to get internet in the shed also I have tried a range extender but it is a no go and I think I have used some power line adapters also.My internet speed is 100 megabytes per second and that is the only bad place in the house for the internet every where else is perfect

depending on what you want to spend but the way i have sorted this for people in the past is run a cable to the back wall of the house or loft
then use a second router and a yagi antenna pointing at the shed. you would need a router that has external antenna port . or just use second router and cable to the shed is always the best

Hi I am in the UK and my internet service provider is virgin media and I have 6-9 devices connected up to wireless and 2 devices connected up to wired connection and I have a shed at the bottom of my garden which is used for a home business and I want internet in there but it is poor connection with the router have and I don't know what would be the best solution to get internet in the shed also I have tried a range extender but it is a no go and I think I have used some power line adapters also.My internet speed is 100 megabytes per second and that is the only bad place in the house for the internet every where else is perfect

A mate has had more or less the same problem, he used this Buy TP-Link AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender & Booster | Wi-Fi boosters | Argos It woked perfect, you can get a refund if not.

I have two of them already and it didn't work in the shed the internet on it kept cutting out

what distance away is the shed. does it have power to the shed as powerline adaptors may work

Probably about 30 metres away from the shed and the shed has got power

can you run a cable to the shed from the router as this would always be the best option and then use second router in the shed

I could possibly run a cable but I don't know how much it is going to cost

well a 50 meter cable will be about £20-30 quid and then a second router can be picked up for about 5 to 30 quid

I will have to speak to my dad as it is his house and I am just sorting it out for him

You dont really need a second router. You've got a couple of ways of doing this, and im guessing you're on a budget of sorts.

1. Buy a switch, and run a long ethernet cable from it to the shed.
2. Run a long ethernet cable to the shed
3. Split the cable and get an additional router
4. Powerline adapters (Needs to be on the same electric cable as the house)

will need second router or access point if you want a wifi signal in the shed

I do networking all the time and I would NEVER use a booster or extender. People buy these and always have poor results. If you try to boost a not so good signal, you will get negative results. As I always say, "Crap In, Crap Out". I've never used PowerLine adapters either. These previous solutions are for consumers who know nothing about networking and a way for the manufacturers to make a buck on providing a poor solution.
So If you are within 107 Meters and it is feasible, you can run a CAT5 cable from a port on your main router in house and feed that into a network switch in the shed. A 5-port switch will give you 4 usable ports for hard wiring to PC and other devices in shed. If you need WiFi in the shed, you would use an Access Point, NOT another router!
If the distance between house and shed is too far or feasible to use network cable (which by the way you should protect in PVC or use Outdoor/direct burial cable), Then I would suggest (2) Ubiquiti Nanobeam which can be as low as $80USD each. For Access Point, I would use a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite

I do networking all the time and I would NEVER use a booster or extender. People buy these and always have poor results. If you try to boost a not so good signal, you will get negative results. As I always say, "Crap In, Crap Out". I've never used PowerLine adapters either. These previous solutions are for consumers who know nothing about networking and a way for the manufacturers to make a buck on providing a poor solution.
So If you are within 107 Meters and it is feasible, you can run a CAT5 cable from a port on your main router in house and feed that into a network switch in the shed. A 5-port switch will give you 4 usable ports for hard wiring to PC and other devices in shed. If you need WiFi in the shed, you would use an Access Point, NOT another router!
If the distance between house and shed is too far or feasible to use network cable (which by the way you should protect in PVC or use Outdoor/direct burial cable), Then I would suggest (2) Ubiquiti Nanobeam which can be as low as $80USD each. For Access Point, I would use a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite

Majority of people are not going to buy a switch, and then run a cable from the router to the switch in the shed. It's just not happening, and people will always take the easier option of using powerline adapters, or WiFi extenders.

Also using a dumb switch you're not actually gaining anything, yes you'll have 4x ethernet ports in the shed, but what if the device doesn't have ethernet? Personally, if I could, I'd run cat5 around my house, have a 24pt Cisco 1920 or something in the cupboard, and then have various AP's around the house. Problem with APs are that you need a controller as well, which is going to add to your stack, then you need to VLAN everything off, create static routes, or having a routing protocol OSPF/ISIS for instance. It's a rabbit hole that people dont want to go down, if you do it for a living like me, then it's easier, but people don't want to spend lots of cash on networking at home. All of this before you even go into security for the network.

Good post dude, but too much for the common man.

Back