Internet gets DNS security system upgrade

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
You can sleep safer and sounder in your virtual beds tonight, as the Internet is starting to become a more secure place.

This is due to the introduction of DNSSEC, or Domain Name System Security, which V3.co.uk reports that ICANN has announced at the Black Hat 2010 conference over in the States.

ICANN calls the system the biggest upgrade for the Internet since the introduction of the worldwide web. It involves a new secure system of page validation being introduced.

This means a website or indeed email can have an official “stamp” to indicate it really is the genuine article from the proper organisation or person in question, and not a spoof affair. It will help put a stop to hackers who spoof sites or emails to trap people (into giving away details such as passwords, for instance). Or at least that’s the theory, anyway.

As Jeremy Hitchcock, CEO of DNS service outfit Dyn Inc explains on the DNSSEC website, the roll-out of DNSSEC is analogous to the development and roll-out of HTTPS, where an entire new infrastructure must be created before the benefit of these validated names becomes a hard reality.

In other words, there’s still a lot of work ahead. The system has been introduced to .org and .uk domains, and we can expect it to become a reality on the massive .com domain during the first half of 2011.

While DNSSEC is certainly much safer than the existing DNS system, it isn’t foolproof, so no doubt it will only be a matter of time before hackers start to get their heads around it. Nevertheless, it should make the net a more secure place in general for the foreseeable future.

By Darren Allan
Internet gets DNS security system upgrade

I run a website of my own, What i want to know about this is how do you register for it, and will it costs - Such like Verisign.

Back