Interested in Satellites - Where do I start

Bbbfatt12

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys I've been reading a lot on Satellites. I'm still with cable but after a little satellite reading, I've decided it sounds more interesting and challenging.

Guys please help, where exactly do I start? Do I need to subscribe and is it a neccessity. Or could I just install some motorised dish, connect it a box receiver and TV and off I could go.

Thanx for all the info so far

:banana:

There are a thousand and one different sat systems out there m8, the best thing to do is decide what you wish to watch, then do a little research on the systems that provide you with your choices, there are systems that can be configured to receive numerous channels without having to pay anything, but on the same token you could buy viewing cards for specific programs, for example EPL football though these can be quite expensive. You would also need to decide what you wish to do with your receiver, do you just want to watch tv? do you want to record ? would you like to be able to talk to your box, so much can be done with sat receivers m8.

Hi Bbbfatt12 the basic is you have more choice with motorised system with diferent satellite position to choose from diferent continent and if you are like me who likes to zaping with channels cheers

Hi Bbbfatt12 might be an idea to see if you can get round and see a system in someones house or maybe a dealers shop. Just be carefull with them dealers they might convince you you need what you don't, but if they have a decent setup its good to see.

Get yourself familiar with all what it takes to get the differnet packages eg official cards, emus and cardsharing etc. Also the pros and cons of each. This will help you make a better Decision on what reciever best suits your needs.

As for a dish you will kick yourself if you dont go motorised.

Dish size is an issue because there is so many permations involved anything between 80-100 is decent and will get you pretty much everything worth getting. But if you go larger you have to add the extra cost of better mount and motor as the dish start getting heavier.

Si.

Gratitude, you guys are the business. Now I am determined I definitely want satellite. I would like to be able to watch the premiership, record a few films, maybe visit a few continents from home.
What I am curious about is - do I have to be assigned to some service provider for even free channels or does the satellite pick the feebies out without the service provider?
NB :banana: thanx for all your assistance

Fascinated!!! I just needed to ask victor1 about talking to the dish. Do these options mean extra costs generally or are they there as options that can be included when needed. Would I be able to take a quick look at say the M25 before I leave for some destination via it?
Sikinn when you say 80 - 100 are you still referring to the size or costs. And if not costs what could this cost keeping in mind one still intends to explore the satellite wilderness
Once again thanx
:banana:

Satellite Television, satellite communications, satellite surveillance, satellite Military technology, are all very different Bbbfatt12. So dont expect to buy a box, plug-in and watch the m25 traffic while aligning missiles on your neighbour :).
80 - 100 refers to dish size ~ 80cm to 100cm diameter.
Cost for a decent simple budget system will be under £200 plus installation. Perhaps £55 for a dish, £55 for motor, £70 for box as approx average.

Its just like an aerial (that moves) with a cable to a receiver under tv, just like a terrestrial aerial and a freeview box but with much more channel choice.

Back