Intelsat 907 27.5W lost More 4+1

foxinacaravan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone, It seems More4+1 has disappeared from 27w today, or is it just a biss code change as it just shows the 'scrambled' bar on my screen. All the other channels seem unaffected.
Be pleased to know what is happening.
Is this the beginning of the end?
Will 901 be able to change the spot beam to Europe when it re-positions at 27.5W?

Dont take the knock m8 but that's about as an obscure question you can ask regarding a missing channel on sat especially when it's on FTA on 28.2E

Sorry silverdale, I didn't mean to be obscure. It's being around other campers all the time. We all use Intelsat 907 at 27.5W for UK TV channels and tend to forget that we are in a very small minority. With unreliable internet at many campsites, we are restricted to watching this satellite whilst in Europe. So perhaps I should clarify.
It is not on 28.2 fta, but 27.5W (Intelsat 907, also known as Sat back, with BISS encryption). We get most BBC channels plus ITV HD, Ch.5, Red button, Ch.4 HD and until yesterday, More 4+1.
It is More4 +1 that has gone, not just from my box but everyone.
We know Intelsat 907 is well past it's sell by date and due to go out of action in 2020 Q1. I have seen reports of Intesat intending to move The sat. 901 from its current position to 27.5W (where 907 is) to take over the workload of 907. The broadcast we receive is on a spot beam and I understand that 901 has two spot beams, which currently cover parts of central America and the West Indies.
I was wondering whether anyone has further information as to whether Arqiva, who operate the broadcast on behalf of Freeview, are going to continue with this arrangement, which seems a bit out of date now that there are newer satellites, with better encryption. Also 901 is two years older than 907, having been launched in 2001, and surely must be due to receive it's pension also.

Well it appears 901 has taken over 907's duties without a hitch. 901 has been equipped with an attachment called a MEV (Mission Extension Vehicle) to keep it going for another 5 years.
Rather than re-fuel (which is impossible on a satellite that wasn't designed with that in mind) they attach a secondary 'vehicle' to propel and station-keep thus prolonging the satellite's useful life.
A second MEV is being prepared, I wonder if 907 will get that.

Why Intelsat’s going with life extension over refueling - SpaceNews.com

Back