Intel Quad Core PC

wickettaker

Member +
Reaction score
Hi All
Would like to buy a quad core pc (no momitor really necessary) have about 3 - 4 hundred want a future proof quick machine with as many extras as poss eg graphics ram etc

Any ideas please and from where ta:Cheers:
forgot to say itel not amd

Will not get a better deal than this mate, even building yourself will probably cost more.

http://www.mcscom.co.uk/product.php?xProd=6167&xSec=37

Warranty............... 1yr MCS Return-to-Base Warranty
MCS Code............... MD095
Model.................... Dimension XPS 420
Case Type.............. Tower
CPU...................... Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Memory (MB)........... 4096
Hard Disk (GB).......... 500
Optical Drive/s.......... DVD-RW
Video .................... 512mb GeForce 8800GT
Soundcard............... Onboard
USB Ports................ 8
Card Reader............ Bluetooth 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
1394 Firewire Port..... Yes
Bluetooth................ Yes
eSATA Port.............. Yes

£404 delivered.

This is a decent XPS system so may have decent overclocking options.

Be quick though, only 1 in stock.

thats better than my machine!!!!

why is everyone putting at least 3gb ram in machines now?

does it offer any advantage in any os other than vista?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Well yeah, I would have 4gb in my XP machine if I felt I had a need, but I don't really do anything more than browse the net on my PC's, so 2gb is fine with me.

XP will see a good 3.25gb, maybe 3.5gb in some instances. So 4gb is not a total waste in an XP machine.

i've got 2gb of 800mhz ram i think my board can take 8gb not 100% sure so if i stick another 1gb or even 2gb will i see a performance boost?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Ignore my post above.

In everyday tasks, no probably not.

In reality, Windows will see the 3gb of ram, but the kernel also takes into consideration the ram on your video card. So if you have a 512mb video card then Windows will add that into the equation and you are stuck with 2.5gb of system ram as it has just calculated it is accessing half a gig from the card.

I am also lead to believe that even though the extra ram is recognised, it is never used. Windows XP does not seem to access more than 2gb of ram. Something I have only recently learnt. So under XP, just save your cash and stick with 2gb mate.

cheers bud

if i ever upgrade to vista al probs max out the ram on the board

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

64 bit XP can see 4GB+ fine - as can the 64bit versions of Vista, Linux etc.

Its all to do with addresses and memory mapping in a 32bit OS, it can only see upto 2^32 bits = 4.2 billion = ~4Gb. As digicol said the buses all take a slice, in theroy if you where to run 3x1Gb graphics cards in SLi/Crossfire on a 32bit OS windows would only be able to use 1Gb RAM!

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a future proof PC. The industry makes sure of that by constantly changing any interface they can !

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Back